Is this a Kenya tree?

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got it from the reef a palooza- vendor said it was a colt. Now that it expanded more I am wondering if I got a Kenya instead?

If so, it will be going in my pest pico tank

IMG_0130.JPG

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the comparison! This piece wasn't fully expanded and I trusted the vendor to tell me it's a colt. guess either he didn't know or he lied. it was $10- at least I didn't spend too much.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't' look like a kenya tree to me. Polyps are longer and the color doesn't look right. It has the texture of more a spurlena to me.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looked like this when i first got it-hence my confusion and hurry since people were pushing me out of the way. I put it in my pest tank this morning so it's unhappy at the moment.

its neon green on top with purplish polyps.

IMG_0134.JPG

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both kenya and spurlena. The first pic looks like a spurlena. Common name also neon green spaghetti leather too.

SFT-NEON-GRN-PALU-2.jpg

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the light fully up does it resemble the pic of the spurlena I posted? It does in the light of the first pic you posted.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spurlena will stay in tact when the grow. Kenya trees make a mess. They break off and regrow everywhere. Especially in the back of the tank where you can't pluck them out.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it honestly doesn't resemble either kenya or Spurlena. The polyps are purple and is longer than pictured. The stem has textured lines.. neither kenya or Spurlena posted here has the lines.

The first photo posted is close as I can get in photography to show polyps and texture.

I feel like I should leave it in my pest tank and see what happens.. if it breaks apart, I know it's a kenya. If it doesn't, then a Spurlena? hate to wait so long to find out, lol. It's really a beautiful piece.

Johnny6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it honestly doesn't resemble either kenya or Spurlena. The polyps are purple and is longer than pictured. The stem has textured lines.. neither kenya or Spurlena posted here has the lines.

The first photo posted is close as I can get in photography to show polyps and texture.

I feel like I should leave it in my pest tank and see what happens.. if it breaks apart, I know it's a kenya. If it doesn't, then a Spurlena? hate to wait so long to find out, lol. It's really a beautiful piece.
I would love a frag if interested in selling

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but that is a neon kenya for sure! I used to have one and am looking for another. The one I had detached and never to be seen again. It was very small must have vacuumed it up or something. Unique corals sells them often. I think I may get the one they have now being I wont have to pay for shipping since I just bought a few corals and not shipping until next week!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back