Is this a montipora frag?

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a freebie in my order but not identified. Looking at their website it may be sunset montipora. If so, I don’t think it’ll do well in my tank as I only have stock LEDs on my Coralife biocube 32.

957E9A64-9187-4D57-AF72-1B5F1E15307B.jpeg

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sunset doesn’t need very much light . Medium will be fine. Sunset montipora is beautiful to . Make certain you got some blue in your lights .

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sunset doesn’t need very much light . Medium will be fine. Sunset montipora is beautiful to . Make certain you got some blue in your lights .
Definitely have blue in them, but I suspect they could more as low than medium. Sounds like it's worth a try though, and I'll put that guy at the top, once it's acclimated.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don’t know how much your into it , but a weak light can always be supplemented with a single t5 light with a blue plus bulb like this . I got a few and I’m happy with them.

671C9D3A-7BE4-4F04-BD02-4EA64303F6BC.png

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that full daylight are on, looks to be a mystic sunset monti.

Here's mine, with blue/purple polyps:
1568841074761.png

And here's an example from their site.
1568841127935.png
Very nice. I’d put it much higher up on your rock work though. I’m sure the lighting it came from was much higher par than the sandbed with stock cube leds, therefor you don’t need to light acclimate it.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I want to try raising this guy, how long should I be running my lights? I've had them on only for about 8 hours, when I didn't have any coral. When I added my open brain, I expanded all the lighting by 1 hour longer (ramp up in the morning for an hour, then full lights for most of the time, then sunset for 30 min followed by 1.5 hours of slow ramp down moonlight.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I’d put it much higher up on your rock work though. I’m sure the lighting it came from was much higher par than the sandbed with stock cube leds, therefor you don’t need to light acclimate it.
Good point. I'll move it up! I also added a duncan, some zoas, and a favia. How long should I acclimate them on the bottom? Given my relatively weak lights, I'm thinking I don't have to wait that long to move them, though I hadn't planned on moving them higher up than half way.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I want to try raising this guy, how long should I be running my lights? I've had them on only for about 8 hours, when I didn't have any coral. When I added my open brain, I expanded all the lighting by 1 hour longer (ramp up in the morning for an hour, then full lights for most of the time, then sunset for 30 min followed by 1.5 hours of slow ramp down moonlight.
That sounds perfect !

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. I'll move it up! I also added a duncan, some zoas, and a favia. How long should I acclimate them on the bottom? Given my relatively weak lights, I'm thinking I don't have to wait that long to move them, though I hadn't planned on moving them higher up than half way.
I’d move them up quick, no need to acclimate. I didn’t have much luck with the stock leds when I had my biocube, I upgraded after a month to better lights. I would have the favia and Duncan at least half way up if not higher, monti even higher. If you upgrade your lights you can move them all back down.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back