Is this a parasite???

eamike261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-4 weeks ago my clown fish had a white fuzzy spot appear near her fun which fell off and then left a “wound” looking spot which healed and she seemed to be getting better. Then, a couple days ago a new bigger white fuzzy thing appeared and fell off. This morning I was SHOCKED to find this (see video, right fin)... never seen anything like this. I’m preparing a fresh water dip because I don’t know what else to do. Anyone know what it is or have advice?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like an isopod the video is a bit tough to see on my phone, if possible can you take a still pic with whites on only?

OP
OP
E

eamike261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like an isopod the video is a bit tough to see on my phone, if possible can you take a still pic with whites on only?

Yes I’ll do my best to get a good pic and post it.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just looked at it on my laptop and does look like an isopod to me. @HotRocks? @Big G? @4FordFamily?

You will have to isolate the fish and then carefully with tweezers remove the isopod. Then give the clown an acriflavine bath (60-90min) and put in QT with antibiotics until the wounds heal. Be careful how you dispose the ispopod as it can attach to and pierce skin.

I've had some luck with them detaching in a formalin bath, but not so much luck in almost anything else. Can try FW dip but they tend to tolerate.

Unfortunately, the only way to eliminate them from a tank is to use a fish as a bait and keep repeating the process manually. Sometimes you may be able to entice them to attach to a dead cocktail shrimp.

The spots on the clown also should be more closely examined - possibly ich or black ich.

OP
OP
E

eamike261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry these pics are massive, I don't know how to make them smaller in the post. You have to shrink your browser to make them a reasonable size. This is about the best I could do with the detail.

UNQqUTX.jpg

C9e5P41.jpg

lnOx0VV.jpg

OP
OP
E

eamike261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just looked at it on my laptop and does look like an isopod to me. @HotRocks? @Big G? @4FordFamily?

You will have to isolate the fish and then carefully with tweezers remove the isopod. Then give the clown an acriflavine bath (60-90min) and put in QT with antibiotics until the wounds heal. Be careful how you dispose the ispopod as it can attach to and pierce skin.

I've had some luck with them detaching in a formalin bath, but not so much luck in almost anything else. Can try FW dip but they tend to tolerate.

Unfortunately, the only way to eliminate them from a tank is to use a fish as a bait and keep repeating the process manually. Sometimes you may be able to entice them to attach to a dead cocktail shrimp.

The spots on the clown also should be more closely examined - possibly ich or black ich.

Yikes... I was worried that when I go to catch her, whatever it is would fall off into the tank :/ then it sounds like my best bet would be trying to bait it. How does one hold a fish still enough to pull something off it with tweezers?

OP
OP
E

eamike261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be easier to do it out of water and the 10-15sec shouldn’t cause any issues.

Great thank you for all the help. Just now, in the process of trying to catch her (and her quickly fleeing around) it fell off into the tank. And thus begins the process of unfortunately trying to bait it out before it can kill them...

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome. I would remove all fish and put a whole cocktail shrimp and give that a try. Dim the lights and check every once in a while. If that doesn't work, unfortunately you'll have to use a live fish as a bait. The clown that had the isopod attached should be treated with antibiotics.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 43 38.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 58 52.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back