Is this a torch or a Duncan ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mrstoeur
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Mrstoeur

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 7, 2024
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
cookeville
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this coral and I can’t tell what it is I’m either thinking a torch or a Duncan ? Can anyone help identify thank you !

IMG_2818.jpeg IMG_2819.jpeg
 
Galaxea? would need a better photo, possibly under whites, to tell
 
Looks like a torch, but we are going to need photos under white lights to better verify
 
I got this coral and I can’t tell what it is I’m either thinking a torch or a Duncan ? Can anyone help identify thank you !

IMG_2818.jpeg IMG_2819.jpeg
From what’s visible in the photo, this looks much more like a Duncan than a torch.
At that size/stage, a torch would usually show a clearly visible, rough white skeleton at the top of the head, with the flesh pulling back a bit and distinct longer tentacles. That exposed skeleton is one of the easiest tells — and it’s not visible here.
Duncans, on the other hand, tend to stay fully fleshed over the skeleton, with shorter, more uniform tentacles and a softer look like what you’re showing. The growth form and lack of exposed skeleton point strongly in that direction.

So based on what we can see so far, Duncan is the more likely ID.
 
If I had to choose torch. Duncan head structure looks more like a star when fully opened. And doesn’t have glowing tips
 
Galaxea, not torch. Note how the corallite structure is fasciculate and not phaceloid.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new