Is this a Yuma or Florida ricordea?

CoachS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both were sold to me as ricordea FloridaZ the orange one I am confident In this, the green one however looks different than the orange, but not quite like a Yuma(no bumps on the eye but the pattern is different than on the orange) so I’m not sure on it. But I’m growing concerned bc of the “it depends” comments on whether two types of ricordea can touch. The green one has been thriving but my orange one seems to be suffering. They have been touching or very close for a little over a week so I may consider moving one of them if I need to.

also on an somewhat related note. I just picked up a hairy mushroom from a teacher friend. I know it doesn’t need to touch my ricordea but Can It be on the same rock or should I put it far away from the others?

image.jpg

OP
OP
C

CoachS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both are florida ricordeas

and the hairy mushroom can be on the same rock but they spread fast, so may want to put it on a different rock
Perfect! I thought so but the difference in pattern threw me for a loop!

i went ahead and just put the hairy across the tank! I only have a 10 gallon I’d rather it take over the barren side of my tank for now lol

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect! I thought so but the difference in pattern threw me for a loop!

i went ahead and just put the hairy across the tank! I only have a 10 gallon I’d rather it take over the barren side of my tank for now lol
From what I remember, the Yuma tentacles are not as close together.
Here is what Tidal Gardens has to say,

At first glance they are hard to distinguish from one another. The way that I tell them apart is the orientation of their tentacles, first near the mouth and then on the body. Ricordea yuma’s mouth almost always has a large concentration of tentacles surrounding it, whereas Ricordea florida’s mouth is usually small and isolated from any tentacles.

A more subtle difference is the pattern of the tentacles on the body. Ricordea florida’s tentacles may show distinctive rings of colors, but the distribution of the tentacles themselves is pretty random. Ricordea yuma on the other hand tend to have alternating rows of large and small tentacles on its body that radiate outwards from the mouth

Although both come in a wide variety of colors, the Ricordea yuma’s colors are by far more vibrant and mind blowing than those of the Ricordea florida.”

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back