Is this Acropora as unusual as it seems to me?

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have quite a number of Acroporae and as far as I can remember this is the first truly orange one I've run into.
IMG_4161.jpg

Please excuse the one dead arm, it got stung right after I got it, but it appears to be encrusting right over the dead limb. It was traded to me as an Acropora subulata, but I have no definite identification.

Like I said, I just cannot remember an orange Acro.

OP
OP
MitchReef

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's actually orange. I've seen / had a lot of browned out acros, but this one is not. It was swapped to me as an "Orange Sherbet Subulata". I just don't really know of any other orange ones. It's really sweet looking.

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty sweet mitch! I think if there is one person who would know what a slimer looks like, even browned out, it would be you.

OP
OP
MitchReef

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 34 different Acros in my display and I can assure y'all that it's not browned out. It's orange.

shapermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is nice looking but the color in not there. it looks like you have some red slim algae there too. nice pice

OP
OP
MitchReef

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it's not Red Slime. I wish it was, but I'm plagued with the eternal Maroon turf. Even ReefCleaners can't come up with anything that eats it.

shapermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know about that...it sucks having it. I try to cut that stuff off any corals I have and if the rock gets it I remove it. that is one of the only way I have found that works...;)

OP
OP
MitchReef

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, my entire display tank is overrun. It is in a very sparce point right now. It seems to almost go away about every year or so, then it will come back and completely carpet every rock. VERY aggravating. I would take every rock out and blowtorch them all if it weren't for the colonies so very encrusted to many of my rocks. This stuff really is a plague.

I usually either affix frags to brand new tiles / plugs or scrape and scrub the plugs before anybody gets a frag from me. I also alert them to scrape ANY of it that they see on the plugs. It's like my tank has herpes, and I want to be responsible about it.

shapermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the red hair algae in my DT and it was getting worse. and then I addes the DR. Tims wast away and I manually pulled as much as I could and nothing would eat it..:( well I had a little bit of red slime in the front of the tanks so i decided to nuked it with red slime remover....well that also took care of the red hair algae as well. not I no nuisance algae in my DT now. not sure why this happen but it is all gone....:)

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever it is, its not flly colored up yet. Give it a month and then you will be able to make a better identification. On my screen it looks more of a peachy or pink color with green at the base then an orange but it could just be the picture. Good luck with it anyway. I would love to see it turn out to be a bright orange acro. That would indeed be a rarity. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
MitchReef

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally try to avoid chemicals, but you used the waste away? No ill effects on your corals?

OP
OP
MitchReef

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Nick. I've actually had it about 2 months now, but I just found a spot it likes. That and a little run-in with a chalice. It's growing a little now and seems to be getting better orange color. I want to see what I have in about 3 more months!

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see it in 3 months as well Mitch. If it does stay orange I would definately be in line for a frag of it when its ready.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The slimer I had in the past never got peach/orange when coloring up or browning out. Hope the color stays, looking forward to see what it looks like as it grows out.

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Judging by the bottom branch, the coral could be on a rebound to recovery. Doesn't look like the normal green slimmer and polyp extension to me though. I have never seen them with an orange hue to them, but I am far from being experienced where I see new coral on a daily basis, lol. Have any other pictures where the polyps are fully extended? I would say it's a nice find. Hopefully it colors up nicely for you!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back