Is this Acropora as unusual as it seems to me?

OP
OP
MitchReef

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was October 11, 2010.
IMG_3494.jpg

The frag was broken from the mother on Oct 10. That's about the most PE I've gotten in a pic yet.

OP
OP
MitchReef

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick shot that I just took through the glass. Not the greatest picture, but it shows the orange color.
IMG_4184.jpg

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not a slimer for sure. The coralite as well as the polyp structure is wrong for a slimer. It's a great looking piece though!

OP
OP
MitchReef

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved it up to brighter lighting today and snapped a pic just for update.
IMG_4334-1.jpg

It is losing the green, except for a VERY faint green sheen

OP
OP
MitchReef

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wish this one photographed better. It's one of those that is really tough to get a good shot of, but here's today.
IMG_4601.jpg

It's been in my tank for 5 months now and is just getting more Orange as it goes on!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that when happy and healthy it will be green and pink... My shortcake looked just like that when it came in and took about a month to color up but it did... We obviously know what the shortcake looks like... Keep us updated with pics I would love to see how it turns out...;)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a pic of the original colony???? Maybe it's from figi and never will color up... Some just stay like that... It's cool looking right now but I think it has more potential for color myself...

OP
OP
MitchReef

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a colony picture unfortunately and I wish you could see it in person....ask Akabryanhall or any of the others around here. Most everybody around here knows my SPS's. It's ORANGE!!!!

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll vouch for it;). That thing looks much brighter than the pictures show!

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I don't think there are many reefers that can get sps colors like senor meetch

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It lOoks orange in the pic I'm not doubting that I just think it has way more potential... I don't own the piece what's your thoughts is that the best it's gonna get or you thinking it's gonna get more color???

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it is the same as my Orange Sherbert table ? I didn't think a sublatata was a table coral . I guess names can be the same but my frag came from Oculus? via a local AC store . It is indeed orange and has as shade of light green on the bottom . It fell into another coral so I mounted it hence the burnt tips . Now i see green all over it . HMMM

IMG_0567.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MitchReef

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it really did green out on you.....Sux big time....It should heal, but it may take a long time. I had a rouge mille that was brown when I got it, and it took nearly a year to get it colored up....then it colored with a vengence.....

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's nice whatever it is I'd take a frag for sure ;) as for the red turf algae my yellow tangs and my scopus tang loves it when I get a little on a frag plug fwiw

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried urchins or the mexican turbos? I had some start in and added a couple of ea in short time it was gone. Not sure which did it

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it really did green out on you.....Sux big time....It should heal, but it may take a long time. I had a rouge mille that was brown when I got it, and it took nearly a year to get it colored up....then it colored with a vengence.....

Funny thing thing is when I look at it with my eyes it's orange as can be . My led's are set to 19.5 k . I have a small milli or protsrata nub that beats this one by a mile with yellow tips and a lemon lime ring on the base. So I stand corrected . Sublata's do table but in a circular pattern. So they may be the same.
Gotta love sdmas .. A Veron's online .

Acropora subulata

Last edited:

wakeboardgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, my entire display tank is overrun. It is in a very sparce point right now. It seems to almost go away about every year or so, then it will come back and completely carpet every rock. VERY aggravating. I would take every rock out and blowtorch them all if it weren't for the colonies so very encrusted to many of my rocks. This stuff really is a plague.

I usually either affix frags to brand new tiles / plugs or scrape and scrub the plugs before anybody gets a frag from me. I also alert them to scrape ANY of it that they see on the plugs. It's like my tank has herpes, and I want to be responsible about it.

I was plagued with the turf algae. Read and had good luck with Mexican Turbo Snails. They seemed to cure the turf algae. I still have a couple if you need to borrow them Mitch.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back