Is this aiptasia? ID

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in New Jersey, my dad brought these home from Atlantic Highlands. It's not the first time he's brought home ulva with anemones before, but they usually just disappear sooner rather than later or I pluck them out and chuck them, garbage, yard, toilet, something of the sort. I forgot to check this time, he'd only brought home such a tiny tiny bit of ulva that I didn't even think to check and just tossed it in. That monster one is the biggest one I've seen brought home, usually they're a lot smaller. My dad also says he sees a lot of anemones in the waters but I couldn't tell you if they were the same as above or not.

Alright that's what I thought, somewhere on the east coast. Ulva is a pretty good medium for them to spread since it grows like crazy. And yeah New Jersey is well known for some interesting strays

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright that's what I thought, somewhere on the east coast. Ulva is a pretty good medium for them to spread since it grows like crazy. And yeah New Jersey is well known for some interesting strays
Eh I'm not surprised haha the water can fluctuate a whole lot. Apparently now there's a ton of fish from the Carolinas up here (even before the hurricane) because our waters got so obnoxiously warm this year.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sonofives thought you might like to know that covering it with a baking soda slurry did nothing but close it up for a day and a half. And they are now multiplying. Even with my peppermint shrimp eating a couple tentacles it is standing tall and strong as ever. I now know why these things are so invasive.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sonofives thought you might like to know that covering it with a baking soda slurry did nothing but close it up for a day and a half. And they are now multiplying. Even with my peppermint shrimp eating a couple tentacles it is standing tall and strong as ever. I now know why these things are so invasive.

Yep might need actual Kalkwasser for them

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep might need actual Kalkwasser for them
Yeah, I don't have any and figured that since some people also use it to raise alk as they do kalkwasser it might be worth a shot since I had some in the house and have been starting to experiment with dosing it to raise alk until I can put together an order.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back