OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A kalk paste or slurry will usually take out almost anything. I'd start there.
Thanks! I don't have kalkwasser, I've been using a bit of baking soda at a time to try to raise my alk. So do you think I could make a baking soda paste to have the same effect or should I just order some kalk?

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rock has nothing you want on it - a bleach bath will oxidize any organic material on the rock including any unruly anemones

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rock has nothing you want on it - a bleach bath will oxidize any organic material on the rock including any unruly anemones
One of the rocks is only one of two in there with a nice collection of coraline on it so I'd rather keep that if I can. I'm hoping to be able to figure out something to do with them today.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild anemone identification enthusiast here. These are Diadumene lineata. I personaly love them but have never heard of anyone keeping them in captivity (you may be the first). They are invasive in many parts of the world since they can tolerate a wide range of conditions. Shouldn't be as bad as aiptasia but they can spread a little bit

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild anemone identification enthusiast here. These are Diadumene lineata. I personaly love them but have never heard of anyone keeping them in captivity (you may be the first). They are invasive in many parts of the world since they can tolerate a wide range of conditions. Shouldn't be as bad as aiptasia but they can spread a little bit
Lovely! Glad to have a confirmation of the ID. I only found out what they were by looking at a NJ snorkeling website. I'm mostly concerned about the stinging, if they're not going to sting inverts or corals I really don't care if they're in there. They're actually kinda neat looking. The ones I was able to pull out I did, and they're moving all around the cup I have them in, not very pleased the poor things.
Do you know of their stinging abilities and all that? Could it be a danger?

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea. I believe they're particulate feeders so I wouldn't imagine that they have a terribly potent sting but you can never be too sure. I say treat them like any other anemone. Give them their space

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea. I believe they're particulate feeders so I wouldn't imagine that they have a terribly potent sting but you can never be too sure. I say treat them like any other anemone. Give them their space
Hard to do when they're super tiny and move around at will. The one did eat a pod. I thought it was pretty cool at least but the active eating rather than passive sort of thing makes me worry that they will sting.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to do when they're super tiny and move around at will. The one did eat a pod. I thought it was pretty cool at least but the active eating rather than passive sort of thing makes me worry that they will sting.
Hmm maybe they only sting smaller fauna like pseudocorynactis?

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright found something
https://scholarsbank.uoregon.edu/xm...794/12640/D_lineata_2015_final.pdf?sequence=3

D. lineata preys on small crustaceans and polychaetes indicating it has a weak sting. However they have a second set of tentacles called acontia which are designed for intraspecific warfare. I assume these will be your biggest problem (they're like mini sweepers). However I can't find the extent to which they sting

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you're fast! I'm assuming small crustaceans here would be various pods rather than normal sized shrimps right?

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I have some databases saved onto my laptop lol. And yes I mean pods, mysids, larval inverts, etc
That's awesome and incredibly in depth as well! What would you personally elect to do with them? One of the things that worries me is how invasive they are and in how many areas they live, I'm sure my tank would be a lovely home. And that they can reproduce asexually and sexually which just seems like double the chance of a takeover.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome and incredibly in depth as well! What would you personally elect to do with them? One of the things that worries me is how invasive they are and in how many areas they live, I'm sure my tank would be a lovely home. And that they can reproduce asexually and sexually which just seems like double the chance of a takeover.
If you really like them maybe get a in tank fuge for them or something where they won't spread like crazy. If not then leave em out to dry. DO NOT FLUSH THEM

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my okay, I won't flush them for sure. If anything I'd keep them in a tupperware of water until my dad goes back down the shore next for him to bring back for a release or something. Out of curiosity why is flushing them bad? Aside from the whole saltwater creature dumped into fresh water to die, but drying out doesn't sound much better.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my okay, I won't flush them for sure. If anything I'd keep them in a tupperware of water until my dad goes back down the shore next for him to bring back for a release or something. Out of curiosity why is flushing them bad? Aside from the whole saltwater creature dumped into fresh water to die, but drying out doesn't sound much better.
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you don't live within their native range in the Indo-Pacific. Therefore they would be considered introduced and due to their nature, invasive. Flushing would simply release them back into the ocean where they would proliferate. As would releasing them. This is illegal in several areas, not to mention the devastating ecological consequences that this species could cause (they're naturalized here in La Jolla now, we've given up on eradicating them and it's only been a few decades)

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you don't live within their native range in the Indo-Pacific. Therefore they would be considered introduced and due to their nature, invasive. Flushing would simply release them back into the ocean where they would proliferate. As would releasing them. This is illegal in several areas, not to mention the devastating ecological consequences that this species could cause (they're naturalized here in La Jolla now, we've given up on eradicating them and it's only been a few decades)
Got it! Well we're on a septic system, the only thing they'd go into would be a large bucket of... well let's just say they won't make it to the ocean ;) I will not return them to the ocean then, half a dozen less out there at least.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it! Well we're on a septic system, the only thing they'd go into would be a large bucket of... well let's just say they won't make it to the ocean ;) I will not return them to the ocean then, half a dozen less out there at least.
In that case flushing is ok then. If you don't mind me asking where abouts do you live? I'm curious as to where these are turning up.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case flushing is ok then. If you don't mind me asking where abouts do you live? I'm curious as to where these are turning up.
I live in New Jersey, my dad brought these home from Atlantic Highlands. It's not the first time he's brought home ulva with anemones before, but they usually just disappear sooner rather than later or I pluck them out and chuck them, garbage, yard, toilet, something of the sort. I forgot to check this time, he'd only brought home such a tiny tiny bit of ulva that I didn't even think to check and just tossed it in. That monster one is the biggest one I've seen brought home, usually they're a lot smaller. My dad also says he sees a lot of anemones in the waters but I couldn't tell you if they were the same as above or not.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back