Is this aiptasia? ID

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I made the mistake of not checking my ulva before I put some in my tank. I've already pulled out an aiptasia and when I moved a clump of ulva away from my rock where it had all been gathering I spotted this.
When returning to try to get a bigger picture I noticed 3 more as well but they're all smaller and hidden in the rock so I'm going to guess this is a giant aiptasia?
It's fairly large, a solid quarter-half of an inch in diameter at the base I'd guess and there's stripes going down the side.
IMG_1095.JPG
IMG_1097.JPG
IMG_1098.JPG
IMG_1099.JPG

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black base is throwing me off, but doesn't look good.
That was my thought! There was one on the ulva itself, no doubt it was aiptasia so I just plucked it out, but this one is different. The base is soft and that stripe I could have swore it seemed blue for a second when I was looking at it. They are all unfortunately on the two base structures of rock so I'm not so sure how I could go about getting it out, but the rock with the monster one does have a monster worm in it two so two birds...

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some gel crazy glue and seal it in...
That would take a whole lot of crazy glue, it's just sitting on the rock, not in a hole or anything, and the mouth? head? part opens up fairly large.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking a baby, your pic seems to have way more feelers than aiptasia
and closes up different than aiptasia to me anyways.
upload_2018-9-20_10-36-51.png
When I was poking around at it it did close up even more than that as well, not quite 100% sealed off but I don't doubt it would have gotten to that point. Also a baby what, what is it in your first picture? Tube anemone like @Amoo says?

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that there's at least one variety on sale at Live Aquaria so I'm guessing it's not a kill it with fire sort if that's the case?

I would read extensively about it and make a decision based on that. They get very large and can act like a venus fish trap.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went through as much of the ulva in the tank that I could and found several other anemones. These anemones close up almost like a zoa, and they look a lot like a zoa when they're closed up, just a little ball of jelly but they open back up very quickly. I poked one and got it to close up completely, no tentacles sticking out at all, then by time I took the picture it was already like this. And then I watched the one I poked open up and eat a pod I think. I have a video I'm uploading now.
IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG
IMG_1108.JPG

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is real time speed of the anemone opening up after it was fully closed. The anemone seems to grab and eat a pod around the 50 second mark.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there's a minimum of 4 in my tank right now, I've plucked another half dozen off of my ulva and with that many I'd bet there's more. All of the ones on my rock are on the bottom rocks in hard to reach areas. How do you propose I get rid of them? I watched my peppermint shrimp just mosey on by without a care in the world and the one is already larger than the shrimp is so I can't count on him eating them.
Any advice on how I could be getting these out of my tank? If I were to dip the rock in some fresh water do you think they'd hop off?

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found what it is, it's a Striped Sea Anemone or Diadumene lineata. Still not thinking that's a good thing. They can reproduce sexually or asexually and are apparently an extremely tolerant species so not exactly sure how I'm going to go about removing them. There's not much on them in tanks, I'm guessing because other people were smart enough to remember to check their ulva before dumping it in their tank straight from the ocean. They're even found in brackish water so I'm thinking a freshwater dip wouldn't be too effective and would just do more damage to my rock than anything.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 67 74.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back