Is this anthias a gonner?

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got 7 dispar anthias at least thats what i think they are the seller didn’t specify the species as they just called it rainbow fish or something. The seller said they were ‘old stock’ so they already ate pellets, i decided to grab them. They are being qted in a 70g now.

They all are eating after just 2 hours, except for the male. The edge of his fins are rotted off a bit and he is breathing fast just sitting on the bottom. I separated him and i have him in a 2 gallon container now with air stones added furan and metroplex as i cant get kana here. Doesn’t look like uronema, just fin rot.

Ive lost a batch of lyretail anthias to the same thing and don’t want to loose this one. My last batch, all of the anthias laid down on the ground immediately upon arrival (the batch i lost were shipped overnight). 3 of them had fin damage, 1 had lost most of its fins, the others were okay. They were eating so i went along with it and thought they would be okay with no meds for a bit. Suddenly 2 days later they all died, most with only half of their body left, some with no fins. They looked like they were improving but overnight their bodies disintegrated…

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics
9D1BE28C-9CB8-455D-95F3-2E0A5AECE5DC.jpeg
66836B8A-C7E6-4CFD-A380-0C7139F45912.jpeg

Upvote 0

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got 7 dispar anthias at least thats what i think they are the seller didn’t specify the species as they just called it rainbow fish or something. The seller said they were ‘old stock’ so they already ate pellets, i decided to grab them. They are being qted in a 70g now.

They all are eating after just 2 hours, except for the male. The edge of his fins are rotted off a bit and he is breathing fast just sitting on the bottom. I separated him and i have him in a 2 gallon container now with air stones added furan and metroplex as i cant get kana here. Doesn’t look like uronema, just fin rot.

Ive lost a batch of lyretail anthias to the same thing and don’t want to loose this one. My last batch, all of the anthias laid down on the ground immediately upon arrival (the batch i lost were shipped overnight). 3 of them had fin damage, 1 had lost most of its fins, the others were okay. They were eating so i went along with it and thought they would be okay with no meds for a bit. Suddenly 2 days later they all died, most with only half of their body left, some with no fins. They looked like they were improving but overnight their bodies disintegrated…
Always keep in mind frayed fins is also a sign of flukes which wiped out several new fish I got in a batch (and one from a different store). You could consider a FW dip, but if he dies, definitely place the corpse in FW just to rule that out as well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always keep in mind frayed fins is also a sign of flukes which wiped out several new fish I got in a batch (and one from a different store). You could consider a FW dip, but if he dies, definitely place the corpse in FW just to rule that out as well.
Oh didnt know that. Would trying that out now be too stressful?

Upvote 0

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh didnt know that. Would trying that out now be too stressful?
That’s always the debate people have on here. I’m certainly no expert but people commonly say that by the time you’re at heavy breathing, lethargy, etc. it probably means it’s already too late to save a fish no matter the cause. If it were me, ascribing to that philosophy, I’d probably try it under the reasoning that there’s not much to lose and if it is flukes some will drop off and provide some temporary relief (but is not curative). But keep in mind the fish dying doesn’t mean the dip caused it. Apparently fish die of flukes via blood loss anemia and therefore oxygen deficiency. That can’t be remedied overnight by killing all the flukes, but gives the fish a chance to recover. If it’s flukes that is, which we can’t know without a pre or postmortem dip. Whether pre or post, it’s important to know, however, in order to treat the other fish correctly and prevent more deaths.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s always the debate people have on here. I’m certainly no expert but people commonly say that by the time you’re at heavy breathing, lethargy, etc. it probably means it’s already too late to save a fish no matter the cause. If it were me, ascribing to that philosophy, I’d probably try it under the reasoning that there’s not much to lose and if it is flukes some will drop off and provide some temporary relief (but is not curative). But keep in mind the fish dying doesn’t mean the dip caused it. Apparently fish die of flukes via blood loss anemia and therefore oxygen deficiency. That can’t be remedied overnight by killing all the flukes, but gives the fish a chance to recover. If it’s flukes that is, which we can’t know without a pre or postmortem dip. Whether pre or post, it’s important to know, however, in order to treat the other fish correctly and prevent more deaths.
IT WAS FLUKESS! He also looks to have several scars, guessing from the flukes. Doing the FW dip was a good call. Although i already started antibiotics so im guessing i have to continue it with prazi now. Im not sure how to feed him as he has issues swimming up off of the ground. He does look to have a full belly though (for now).

Upvote 0

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IT WAS FLUKESS! He also looks to have several scars, guessing from the flukes. Doing the FW dip was a good call. Although i already started antibiotics so im guessing i have to continue it with prazi now. Im not sure how to feed him as he has issues swimming up off of the ground. He does look to have a full belly though (for now).
;Nurse. I was a little suspicious of your earlier story as well. From my research it seems like bacterial infections (of which fin rot is one) mostly only happen to areas of injury and weakened immune systems play a role. So to have several fish all wiped out and all being vulnerable to a bacterial infection at the same time just seems like a less likely diagnosis. I did the same thing as you though; used 3 different antibiotics until I finally dropped a dead fish in FW on Jay’s advice.

Yeah I’d definitely go with prazi for now and not worry about the antibiotic course. Watch out for secondary bacterial infections but the primary immediate problem is the flukes. You want to do at least 2-3 rounds and plenty of aeration especially for the fish that’s already breathing heavy. I had Neobenedenia which are bigger, not just little sesame seeds and prazi only has an 82% cure rate for those so I did prazi followed by a month of hypo.

As for feeding I wouldn’t force it but you could try sinking pellets. At the moment though he’s probably more concerned with breathing.

Let us know if the little guy survives!

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many fish do you add at once, 7? Personally, very unpopular opinion I know, I always suggest adding 1-2 at a time. Adding a big bunch at a time always results in some death, every time, 100%. Again, just my opinion (but I've never lost a new fish)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Nurse. I was a little suspicious of your earlier story as well. From my research it seems like bacterial infections (of which fin rot is one) mostly only happen to areas of injury and weakened immune systems play a role. So to have several fish all wiped out and all being vulnerable to a bacterial infection at the same time just seems like a less likely diagnosis. I did the same thing as you though; used 3 different antibiotics until I finally dropped a dead fish in FW on Jay’s advice.

Yeah I’d definitely go with prazi for now and not worry about the antibiotic course. Watch out for secondary bacterial infections but the primary immediate problem is the flukes. You want to do at least 2-3 rounds and plenty of aeration especially for the fish that’s already breathing heavy. I had Neobenedenia which are bigger, not just little sesame seeds and prazi only has an 82% cure rate for those so I did prazi followed by a month of hypo.

As for feeding I wouldn’t force it but you could try sinking pellets. At the moment though he’s probably more concerned with breathing.

Let us know if the little guy survives!
after the dip he seems to improve, hoping he makes it through. he started to seek cover where before he was just out in the open. the breathing also seemed to calm down a bit. first time getting flukes but good thing i do have prazi on hand. unfortunately i have a wrasse (accidentally sent to me) in the QT with the others so i need to be careful in dosing.

how many fish do you add at once, 7? Personally, very unpopular opinion I know, I always suggest adding 1-2 at a time. Adding a big bunch at a time always results in some death, every time, 100%. Again, just my opinion (but I've never lost a new fish)
Even in a 50 gallon qt? 50 is the water volume the whole tank is around 100 but i only filled up half just in case in need some meds asap. I have a lot of media from the DT hoping it is enough

I couldn’t get 2 at a time because unfortunately shipping is expensive and it costs almost as much as the fish. I did QT 5 angels and tangs together one time in this tank with no losses (probably wouldn’t do it again though). Thought since the anthias were tiny they would create less ammonia ect. I will be monitoring the ammonia levels closely as anthias eat a lot.

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even in a 50 gallon qt? 50 is the water volume the whole tank is around 100 but i only filled up half just in case in need some meds asap. I have a lot of media from the DT hoping it is enough

I couldn’t get 2 at a time because unfortunately shipping is expensive and it costs almost as much as the fish. I did QT 5 angels and tangs together one time in this tank with no losses (probably wouldn’t do it again though). Thought since the anthias were tiny they would create less ammonia ect. I will be monitoring the ammonia levels closely as anthias eat a lot.
well there's no rule, and probably no science to back me up, Im just giving my opinion. But I think your QT tank probably has no rock, right?, only filled halfway, it means very little surface area for bacteria to grow and support 7 fish added at once.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well there's no rule, and probably no science to back me up, Im just giving my opinion. But I think your QT tank probably has no rock, right?, only filled halfway, it means very little surface area for bacteria to grow and support 7 fish added at once.
Yeah clean qt. With a canister filter running with biorings from the DT. Not sure if its enough.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back