Is this bio load acceptable for this IM 40L AIO?

lionheart8190

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Not completely new to the hobby, had a 125 gallon up for years maybe 15 years ago. Trying to get back into it with a much smaller reef tank this time, and was hoping to figure out a good stock list/bio load for my tank. I'm not sure what my limit would be in this smaller tank. 125 had so many options obviously.

This is the tank.
Here is what I was thinking for stock. Haven't picked out the 8th fish. But am not sure if 8 fish is even doable in this size. (Already have raised a mandarin in the past and did well, hoping the Biota will be even easier). I figured even though it is about 35g for the display tank, the layout may allow more fish.

Will have a CUC, skimmer, 40lbs of live rock, live sand, chaeto in the back, and potentially other filter media like carbon in the media basket. And any other filtration I can cram into this AIO to keep good water quality and reduce water changes.

Thanks for any advice, and please shoot me recommendations for an 8th fish if it's possible. Was thinking a cardinal.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only disease and behavior limitations will affect those fish, you can't exceed the bioload carry of 40 pounds of cured live rock with any life that could fit in the tank. ammonia control won't factor as an issue.

OP
OP
L

lionheart8190

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only disease and behavior limitations will affect those fish, you can't exceed the bioload carry of 40 pounds of cured live rock with any life that could fit in the tank. ammonia control won't factor as an issue.
Thank you so much. I have to see just how much live rock I can realistically fit in the tank, but was hoping for 40 for 1:1 gallon ratio. But it sounds like these 8 fish shouldn't be an issue space wise.

From what I gather, these fish SHOULD all get along. But of course we know how that works. Every fish has their own personality and agenda :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I assume if I add a UV sterilizer that could also help keep diseases down? And would I be smart to stick with just these 8 and not add any more? Even if it's just more of the same fish? And also, these would all be added VERY slowly over the course of many months. (Need to figure out the best order to add them as well)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if that was my tank I would for sure use a UV of some sort but for invasion control, not for disease. they rate low on the % of disease control methods used for fish

quarantine and fallow is 95% of the disease control game for reef tank fish for sure per the disease forum/humblefish's site etc

OP
OP
L

lionheart8190

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, first I thought that meant 40 Liters, and was wondering how to get 40lbs of rock into it.. yea that is totally doable in a 40G. Just go slow with adding fish.
Ha that would be quite the challenge. Thanks for reply. I intend to add them very slowly over the course of many months.
From my understanding a mandarin in a 40 gallon will be tough, unless you're going to somehow cultivate pods.
Yes that is the plan, having a refugium with chaeto where they can reproduce. I did that in the past, and it worked well. Of course my refugium was much larger and in a 125 gallon.

OP
OP
L

lionheart8190

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if that was my tank I would for sure use a UV of some sort but for invasion control, not for disease. they rate low on the % of disease control methods used for fish

quarantine and fallow is 95% of the disease control game for reef tank fish for sure per the disease forum/humblefish's site etc
Absolutely. I will probably have a small 10g quarantine tank (larger if needed but hoping to keep it small). I still need to brush up on my quarantining skills overall, it's been many years.

OP
OP
L

lionheart8190

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. My (so far) most successful tank was a 40 breeder. Simple Berlin style setup, no sump, HOB skimmer and dosing 2-part. I changed out about 1/4 gallon water every day.
Thank you! I finally have the budget to do something nice, but definitely looking forward to a much smaller setup. The 125 was a bit overwhelming after a few years. This 40L has a really nice shape to it. Longer for more swimming more room and shorter. The height never seems to really be beneficial. I almost got the regular IM 40 instead. And had my eye on the IM SR 60 and Waterbox 50.3 as well. Just figured the extra space still wasn't enough to justify the jump in price and size, because many fish still can't be in the 60 or 40 anyway.

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM fusion 40 AIO currently, probably similar to what you've got. Its tough to get a skimmer that works for that within the AIO chambers. By "works" I mean actually contributes to your filtration etc. I have tried without success. EXT skimmer is the only thing that worked for me. If you're interested, check my build, I haven't run any UV on this system but I do run an external reactor as an additional chamber as well as a HOB fuge. My bioload is similar to what you're suggesting. (1) Clown, (2) Damsels (1) Mandarin (not biota) These tanks are good for small fish. For the mandarin, you could do a mandarin in this tank but be prepared to work for it. For me I have to run (2) pod cultures constantly so that one of them is always ready on a weekly basis and honestly it's just enough to the point where if one of them crashes I am not in good shape. Ive been lucky that after a week or so post seedings of pods they usually appear everywhere but Im dosing a startling amount of phyto into the system everyday for that.

OP
OP
L

lionheart8190

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM fusion 40 AIO currently, probably similar to what you've got. Its tough to get a skimmer that works for that within the AIO chambers. By "works" I mean actually contributes to your filtration etc. I have tried without success. EXT skimmer is the only thing that worked for me. If you're interested, check my build, I haven't run any UV on this system but I do run an external reactor as an additional chamber as well as a HOB fuge. My bioload is similar to what you're suggesting. (1) Clown, (2) Damsels (1) Mandarin (not biota) These tanks are good for small fish. For the mandarin, you could do a mandarin in this tank but be prepared to work for it. For me I have to run (2) pod cultures constantly so that one of them is always ready on a weekly basis and honestly it's just enough to the point where if one of them crashes I am not in good shape. Ive been lucky that after a week or so post seedings of pods they usually appear everywhere but Im dosing a startling amount of phyto into the system everyday for that.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind for the Mandarin. Did you try IM's Nuvoskim that's made for the tank? I am curious how well it works and always am skeptical of reviews directly on a companies website. The waterbox 50.3 can use the Tunze 9004 DC which is a pretty solid skimmer. I wonder if it can fit in the IM? I'll have to get measurements.

I was flip flopping between the IM40L and the Waterbox 50.3 anyway. Just want to be sure I pick the one that can accommodate the best setup and is flexible.

edit-Tunze 9004 cannot fit. And the reviews on the nuvoskim as expected are not great. Of course it has 5 stars on IM's website :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will keep that in mind for the Mandarin. Did you try IM's Nuvoskim that's made for the tank? I am curious how well it works and always am skeptical of reviews directly on a companies website. The waterbox 50.3 can use the Tunze 9004 DC which is a pretty solid skimmer. I wonder if it can fit in the IM? I'll have to get measurements.

I was flip flopping between the IM40L and the Waterbox 50.3 anyway. Just want to be sure I pick the one that can accommodate the best setup and is flexible.

edit-Tunze 9004 cannot fit. And the reviews on the nuvoskim as expected are not great. Of course it has 5 stars on IM's website :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Haha, yea, I hadn't tried the nuvoskim. I had the IM ghost skimmer which is the older version. ghost skimmer is a great name for it because it's as if it doesn't exist. I also think that skimmers that go directly into the AIO chambers inhibit overall flow through the "sump" of the AIO. Alternatively Ive heard good things about HOB skimmers. I just know for sure that the reef octo 100 EXT works for me, has a positive and stable relationship with PH when combined with a scrubber, and pulls out some gunk on the regular.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I finally have the budget to do something nice, but definitely looking forward to a much smaller setup. The 125 was a bit overwhelming after a few years. This 40L has a really nice shape to it. Longer for more swimming more room and shorter. The height never seems to really be beneficial. I almost got the regular IM 40 instead. And had my eye on the IM SR 60 and Waterbox 50.3 as well. Just figured the extra space still wasn't enough to justify the jump in price and size, because many fish still can't be in the 60 or 40 anyway.
Same thought process here, which is why I just got my 40L AIO instead of the SR60. If the SR60 would have been enough of a jump to add a tang, for example, would have pulled the trigger on it, but not really there.

OP
OP
L

lionheart8190

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thought process here, which is why I just got my 40L AIO instead of the SR60. If the SR60 would have been enough of a jump to add a tang, for example, would have pulled the trigger on it, but not really there.
Yeah that's where I was at. And 60 meant bigger pumps, skimmers, water changes, etc. All for not much of an improvement to stock options. Just seemed like a weird middle ground that didn't seem worth it. I've had my days of tangs, lionfish, eels, etc.....Looking forward to a reef this time.

I am tempted to get the waterbox 50.3 now though since it can use better skimmers and has more room in the AIO section. I didn't realize the IM40L would struggle to fit a worthy skimmer.

OP
OP
L

lionheart8190

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yea, I hadn't tried the nuvoskim. I had the IM ghost skimmer which is the older version. ghost skimmer is a great name for it because it's as if it doesn't exist. I also think that skimmers that go directly into the AIO chambers inhibit overall flow through the "sump" of the AIO. Alternatively Ive heard good things about HOB skimmers. I just know for sure that the reef octo 100 EXT works for me, has a positive and stable relationship with PH when combined with a scrubber, and pulls out some gunk on the regular.
I had a reef octopus on my 125, it was awesome. I was really hoping to keep everything contained in the AIO this time around. KInd of bummed I didn't realize the IM40 had no good skimmer options. I didn't order it yet though, so I still have time to switch, I'm gonna see if there are any better options as the nuvoskim is clearly a waste of money.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's where I was at. And 60 meant bigger pumps, skimmers, water changes, etc. All for not much of an improvement to stock options. Just seemed like a weird middle ground that didn't seem worth it. I've had my days of tangs, lionfish, eels, etc.....Looking forward to a reef this time.

I am tempted to get the waterbox 50.3 now though since it can use better skimmers and has more room in the AIO section. I didn't realize the IM40L would struggle to fit a worthy skimmer.
I got the IM Nuvo skimmer and will check it out. I'm going for light usage in any case, since I'll be having macros, sponges and tunicates doing a lot of filtration for me (and needing dissolved organics). Still working towards getting the tank wet, though!

OP
OP
L

lionheart8190

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the IM Nuvo skimmer and will check it out. I'm going for light usage in any case, since I'll be having macros, sponges and tunicates doing a lot of filtration for me (and needing dissolved organics). Still working towards getting the tank wet, though!
I haven't even ordered my tank yet :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: Still in the very long research phase.

Looks like this is what I have for compartments. I definitely want a refugium, which means converting the 3 compartment media tray into a single chaeto compartment. I believe that goes in one of the 4.8" compartments. And the other 4.8 was for the filter sock. I guess I could remove the filter sock and put a bigger skimmer in there? but not sure.

The smaller 4" compartments aren't really big enough for a skimmer or the media basket. I'm honestly still just trying to wrap my head around the whole AIO portion and what I can and cannot fit and what goes where.
3293586720.jpg

Last edited:

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't even ordered my tank yet :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: Still in the very long research phase.

Looks like this is what I have for compartments. I definitely want a refugium, which means converting the 3 compartment media tray into a single chaeto compartment. I believe that goes in one of the 4.8" compartments. And the other 4.8 was for the filter sock. I guess I could remove the filter sock and put a bigger skimmer in there? but not sure.

The smaller 4" compartments aren't really big enough for a skimmer or the media basket. I'm honestly still just trying to wrap my head around the whole AIO portion and what I can and cannot fit and what goes where.
3293586720.jpg
IMO the chambers aren't good for much other than your media baskets, heater, and your ATO. "intank" makes a great basket for these tanks. I use a sicce 1.5 to feed the skimmer and that barely fits in the second chamber. A 3.0 fits barely into the main center chamber as the return. Id like to start using a DC pump in the future but I haven't landed on one yet. You could do a chaeto fuge in one of the second chambers for sure though however I found I ran out of room pretty quick once I wanted to get probes and stuff in there, dosing tubes etc, really jammed up the room for a heater and ATO which I run (2) sensors plus a third high level sensor. To me this is why trying to fit a skimmer in the AIO chamber was out of the question even if I found one that did work for me

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back