Is this black ich? Sorry for the bad pics

Jack_10218

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if this stuff on my Midas blenny was black ich, and if so how would I go about treating it? I do not have a qt tank, and if it is black ich I’d assume it’s probably spread.

B94EB91D-A804-456B-A785-C10224C9E924.png 817BE8D9-D2B0-4E5D-A19B-42142E36A9B5.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots look too diffuse to be black ich (but that could just be the camera focus). I've never seen that parasite on midas blennies, but my sample size is small. Black ich, turbellarians, will look like pinpoint black spots, just under the skin. It is often not fatal and goes away on its own. People say to treat it with praziquantel, but that actually doesn't work well for this species of worm. Freshwater or formalin dips and moving the fish to clean tank works better.
Any spots on any other fish in the tank?

As a side note, the blenny is a bit thin, you might want to read the start of this thread:

Jay

OP
OP
J

Jack_10218

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots look too diffuse to be black ich (but that could just be the camera focus). I've never seen that parasite on midas blennies, but my sample size is small. Black ich, turbellarians, will look like pinpoint black spots, just under the skin. It is often not fatal and goes away on its own. People say to treat it with praziquantel, but that actually doesn't work well for this species of worm. Freshwater or formalin dips and moving the fish to clean tank works better.
Any spots on any other fish in the tank?

As a side note, the blenny is a bit thin, you might want to read the start of this thread:

Jay
Thanks and yeah your right. I wasn’t aware of the starvation issues these little guys have, and I’ve noticed he’s started being less active, that’s probably why. Me feeding mostly brine probably wasn’t helping either. Gonna start feeding him better and more often. thanks a lot for this

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back