Black ich!?!?

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all.
I alrety made a thread a day or 2 ago asking about my fish. It eventually evolved into ich on my sailfin. Spread by the new tomie tang I added.
But I noticed there is not black spots on the sailfin tang?
I looked up black ich. Didn't help much.
I also noticed it was a little on the foxface too.

I stated in the previous thread that all the fish are eating normally and nobody is acting strange. It's all just physical sighns.
I also don't really have the resources right now to qt.

20231116_074230.jpg 20231116_074352.jpg 20231116_074349.jpg

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all.
I alrety made a thread a day or 2 ago asking about my fish. It eventually evolved into ich on my sailfin. Spread by the new tomie tang I added.

I stated in the previous thread that all the fish are eating normally and nobody is acting strange. It's all just physical sighns.

Fish vets need a look at this. @vetteguy53081

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all.

That may not be black ich (turbellarian worms). The fish certainly has regular marine ich, Cryptocaryon.

In some fish, the parasitic ich trophont causes hyper pigmentation of the skin (black spots).

On the other hand, it is possible for a fish to have more than one disease at a time, so this could be turbellarian worms. That said, ich will kill fish much faster than turbellarians will, how are you addressing the ich issue?

Jay

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may not be black ich (turbellarian worms). The fish certainly has regular marine ich, Cryptocaryon.

In some fish, the parasitic ich trophont causes hyper pigmentation of the skin (black spots).

On the other hand, it is possible for a fish to have more than one disease at a time, so this could be turbellarian worms. That said, ich will kill fish much faster than turbellarians will, how are you addressing the ich issue?

Jay
I'm currently feeding more. Keeping them as fat and healthy as I can.
I put in a small uv filter I had from my last tank but it's not meant for a sump so I dont think it's doing much.

Other than that till I buy a uv there's not much more I can do. I don't have the resources to qt right now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey all.

Pics too fuzzy to tell but can also be stings from anemone or euphyllia coral

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently feeding more. Keeping them as fat and healthy as I can.
I put in a small uv filter I had from my last tank but it's not meant for a sump so I dont think it's doing much.

Other than that till I buy a uv there's not much more I can do. I don't have the resources to qt right now.

Feeding more doesn't help with external parasites. What I tell folks is that is like feeding your dog before running it in a field to protect it against ticks - that just doesn't work.

Ich management is tough to do, here is a write-up I did about that:

Starting Ich Management during an active infection only works if the number of trophonts on the fish is below a certain number. Above that number and the trophonts themselves become stressors and the parasite gains a foothold, despite your attempts to manage it. So what is that number? It depends on too many variables - but I start to expect Ich Management to fail if the number of spots on any one fish is above 30 or so.

Here is my protocol for ich management. Please understand that I am NOT presenting this as an optimum method for controlling ich, just putting it out there for people who want to try it. Also, do not pick and choose which items you want to follow - you need to go with all guns blazing and use them all.

“Ich Management” Because many aquarists mix fish and invertebrates, they are ill-prepared to then treat for marine ich, as the two best treatments, amine-based copper or hyposalinity, cannot be used with invertebrates. A popular technique has then arisen, “ich management”. It is popular not because it works well, but because it is an easier alternative. Be forewarned, it often fails if applied during moderate infections. The reason that it exists as a technique at all is because people find themselves in situations like this and are desperate to try anything.

The basic idea is to reduce the infective propagules (tomites) of the ich parasite to the point where the fish's acquired immunity can fight the infection off. This is done through a series of techniques for stress reduction and tomite limiting. Unfortunately, the ich tomites themselves cause stress to the fish, so if the fish have more than 30 or so trophonts on them, the method often fails.

1) Install a powerful UV sterilizer on the aquarium.
2) Ensure that the fish's diet and water quality are the best you can make them.
3) Keep the water temperature close to 78 degrees F.
4) Siphon off the tank floor nightly to remove as many tomonts as possible.
5) Employ strong filtration to trap as many tomites as possible.
6) Try a proprietary "reef safe" marine ich medication. These rarely cure ich infections on their own, but some may have benefit when combined with other management methods. Avoid the herbal remedies, focus on those that contain peroxide salts. There is, however, some evidence that using peroxides with UV does not work, as the UV can break down the peroxides.

Jay

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black spots are kinda gone.
But.
The goby has died. :<
Weather it was from ich or more likely being under fed. Since the upgrade a few weeks back.
So far other fish are still doing okay.
I'm going to let the snails and anenome eat the goby.
Might as well give them some food.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.1%
Back