Is this bleaching, growing or dying?

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have a frag of what I believe to be a blue tort and it looks like this and I am curious if you think it's doing okay or needs more light or less, it's probably 8 inches below the surface and I am running a Neptune sky at 70%

It has definitely grown since I've got it. I have also included pictures of my green slimer and red monti cap. For context the tort was on the same rack as the slimer and monti but I tried moving it in case it was getting too much light.

Any input is greatly appreciated. See my levels below.

Alk: 9.3
Mag: 1350
Cal: 440

Thanks! I have also attached a picture of it on the rack with slimer and that was from October 25th

Snapchat-669041030.jpg IMG_20211109_184158.jpg IMG_20211025_123016_01.jpg

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s browning. Maybe on the verge of bleaching. Lighting seems ok, but you might have a nutrient problem. Nutrient problems usually causes an acro to brownout then die. I’d check all perimeters.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s browning. Maybe on the verge of bleaching. Lighting seems ok, but you might have a nutrient problem. Nutrient problems usually causes an acro to brownout then die. I’d check all perimeters.
Which nutrient usually causes this to occur? Or is it any of them?

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are nitrates or phosphates near zero?
I'll have to check, gotta grab my test kits from my friend. Though I'd be surprised if they aren't, I have a refugium and I do weekly water changes and feed every second day. I feed Nori everyday however for the two tangs and foxface, I also only have 8 fish 5 of them which are very small in a 6ft x 3ft by 12" tall system and a large sump ahaha. Think of a giant frag tank.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The growth pattern does not look like a blue tort, imo. Was their ever any blue?
I think so? I don't have any great pics but I screenshotted a couple videos I took. I'm also wondering if it's maybe the spectrum since my spectrum is alot whiter now then before. My spectrum before had the whites cranked down.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211109-192758.jpg
    Screenshot_20211109-192758.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20211109-192555__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20211109-192555__01.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 22

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tips show growth and I believe shading may be the issue. Some areas have good color while other areas faded out from lack of light where branches are shading it. Moderate to good light for production of zppxanthellae shoulfd color it up and you likely know- decent flow.
Assure :
alk 8-11
mag 1300 range
CA 440
Temp 77-79
salinity 1.025
PH - 8.2

bitwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low phosphates or nitrates could actually be a problem. I lost quite a few SPS a couple of years ago because of it.

I’m pretty sure undetectable nitrate/phosphate needs to be accompanied with some kind of advanced strategy (IE zeovit, amino dosing, etc) to work without bleaching.

I just saw in your other thread that you had them near zero. Keep in mind your corals will typically look like what your water was like 1-2 weeks ago.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tips show growth and I believe shading may be the issue. Some areas have good color while other areas faded out from lack of light where branches are shading it. Moderate to good light for production of zppxanthellae shoulfd color it up and you likely know- decent flow.
Assure :
alk 8-11
mag 1300 range
CA 440
Temp 77-79
salinity 1.025
PH - 8.2
That makes sense however it is directly under the light with nothing overtop of it so I'm not sure what would be shading it. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low phosphates or nitrates could actually be a problem. I lost quite a few SPS a couple of years ago because of it.

I’m pretty sure undetectable nitrate/phosphate needs to be accompanied with some kind of advanced strategy (IE zeovit, amino dosing, etc) to work without bleaching.

I just saw in your other thread that you had them near zero. Keep in mind your corals will typically look like what your water was like 1-2 weeks ago.
So if I'm understanding correctly you think I need to bring the nitrates and phosphates up?

I always about explosive algae growth and getting some pain in the butt hair algae or something. Although it's very strange in my sump on the media blocks I saw some cyano but only in the spots that could be hit by my refugium light. Which is funny because again I don't have much for nutrients. So maybe just a lighting thing? But it's only there and not in the display tank. I got lots of diatoms in the fuge and display but snails and tangs clean it before it spreads and free food for them. But due to the diatoms being present I thought I should be fine with the feeding every second day because the fish will feed off the diatoms or should I feed more?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That makes sense however it is directly under the light with nothing overtop of it so I'm not sure what would be shading it. Any thoughts?
What is your light schedule and level of flow?
Nutrients and aminos may be low. If running GFO, may be another cause. If no fish in system, may be a sign also of low nutrients. If there are fish, feed them more allow poop to provide nutrient increase.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your light schedule and level of flow?
Nutrients and aminos may be low. If running GFO, may be another cause. If no fish in system, may be a sign also of low nutrients. If there are fish, feed them more allow poop to provide nutrient increase.
Light schedule is 12 on 12 off. Flow is really high. I got to Neptune WAVs on one side at the highest rated preset I think it's wizkidds or something like that and one is inverse the other. Other side I have 2 jebao 526gph or whatever they are, like 20 bucks off Amazon. Nope no GFO. Just a carbon bag skimmer and fuge in my sump. There is 8 fish in the system.

So you think this is due to low nutrients?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Light schedule is 12 on 12 off. Flow is really high. I got to Neptune WAVs on one side at the highest rated preset I think it's wizkidds or something like that and one is inverse the other. Other side I have 2 jebao 526gph or whatever they are, like 20 bucks off Amazon. Nope no GFO. Just a carbon bag skimmer and fuge in my sump. There is 8 fish in the system.

So you think this is due to low nutrients?
I believe butrients which are a must and assure flow is NOT aggressive. Like my WAV's - theyre very strong

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not aggressive? How do you mean? I was under the impression you wanted lots of flow for SPS?
You do but not to point of blasting them. They need nutrients and too much flow can impede that
Most of mine are under medium flow

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do but not to point of blasting them. They need nutrients and too much flow can impede that
Most of mine are under medium flow
Oh no worries. The flow I have is more randomized than constant. You can see that from the polyps being blown randomly and not constantly on the slimer. So it's probably a nutrient problem hey?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh no worries. The flow I have is more randomized than constant. You can see that from the polyps being blown randomly and not constantly on the slimer. So it's probably a nutrient problem hey?
High likelihood

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are very few situations where it is safe to run nitrates and phosphates around zero and they both involve a ton of throughput and processing/exporting. So feeding a large bioload of fish small portions 8 times a day and exporting like crazy or -- as @bitwise said -- a heavy bacteria & carbon dosing regiment to process a lot of nutrient.

In either case, there is A LOT of nutrient passing through the system on a very consistent basis. It just gets processed/consumed/exported so fast that there is not a lot of residual left to measure. People do it. I think it is cool. I feed at least 3X a day and export pretty hard. 2-5 nitrate and .05 to .08 PO4 with a Hanna.

Given your really cool 3' X 6' footprint, I'd get a school of zebrasomas (plus a One spot foxface! ) and bring on the algae!

Working fish like to work just like working dogs like to work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back