Is this brown jelly?

Kvandenplas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this nuclear hammer tip coral from Aquasd. It was open and looking good on the first day which you can see here https://youtube.com/shorts/iOJRAbwkvFk?feature=share

Now its completely covered in... not exactly sure.

Perhaps its where I located it? I can always move it if that is the case!
Ive attached a picture of my water parameters as well.

Any and all help is very much appreciated!

20221209_180701.jpg 20221209_181146.jpg

OP
OP
Kvandenplas

Kvandenplas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add, I did perform a coral dip on everything. Also, here is a better picture now that it is in another dip, before QT

Attachments

• 20221209_184802.jpg
    20221209_184802.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
Kvandenplas

Kvandenplas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That coral is dead. If there is brown jelly like substance oozing out the BJD is possible.
Holy ****, that wouldve been between last night & 6pm tonight... my other corals are all doing fine, my water parameters are good and have been stable since the cycle finished about 2 months n some weeks ago. Could it have been my placement?
The hammer was open when I added it to that location.

OP
OP
Kvandenplas

Kvandenplas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didn't look good in that video either, not dead but it was definitely receding as you could see the skeleton all around it.
alright, i'll assume that it was just the shipping because Hammers are sensitive as it. I'll have to make a long drive to a reef store if I want a hammer i guess

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry OP that hammer was already dying in the video when you got it. It wasn’t anything you did, it probably was damaged in shipping then BJD set in. If the coral smells real bad that‘ll confirm BJD. Keep an eye on any other euphyllia corals in the tank as BJD can spread.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy ****, that wouldve been between last night & 6pm tonight... my other corals are all doing fine, my water parameters are good and have been stable since the cycle finished about 2 months n some weeks ago. Could it have been my placement?
The hammer was open when I added it to that location.
Euphyllia do not do well in new tanks with unstable parameters. But shipping stress affects them also. If it has a strong odor that is BJD.

OP
OP
Kvandenplas

Kvandenplas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euphyllia do not do well in new tanks with unstable parameters. But shipping stress affects them also. If it has a strong odor that is BJD.
The parameters have been stable since the tank cycled - i dont really smell anything on it so maybe that covering over it (in the crappy picture) was melted polyps

OP
OP
Kvandenplas

Kvandenplas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have ammonia and nitrite in your tank, are you still cycling ?
No the tank cycled 2 and some months ago. The test was done on Friday after I got back from a week in Georgia. Had a buddy taking care of the tank and overfed a bit so I tested the water a few hours after I got back and these were the results. Did a 25% water change friday, and another 10% on tuesday night before the corals got here. Checked the basic ammonia/nitrate/nitrite tuesday night n added the corals wednesday.

OP
OP
Kvandenplas

Kvandenplas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry OP that hammer was already dying in the video when you got it. It wasn’t anything you did, it probably was damaged in shipping then BJD set in. If the coral smells real bad that‘ll confirm BJD. Keep an eye on any other euphyllia corals in the tank as BJD can spread.
No smell coming off of it, but thank you for the input. I'll revisit the hammer again in a few weeks, this time it'll be a 2 hour trip to my lfs and back. Not fun but better than dead

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The parameters have been stable since the tank cycled - i dont really smell anything on it so maybe that covering over it (in the crappy picture) was melted polyps
Unfortunately no, parameters aren't stable in 2 month old tanks. Your tank will go through various ugly phases throughout the first year and when combined with fluctuations in parameters will create coral stress and losses. Your hammer may or may not be an example of this but it sounds more like shipping stress and then introduction into a new tank environment leading to bailout. The only reason I'm letting you know is because I experienced euphyllia losses as my tank was new and stability was difficult.

OP
OP
Kvandenplas

Kvandenplas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately no, parameters aren't stable in 2 month old tanks. Your tank will go through various ugly phases throughout the first year and when combined with fluctuations in parameters will create coral stress and losses. Your hammer may or may not be an example of this but it sounds more like shipping stress and then introduction into a new tank environment leading to bailout. The only reason I'm letting you know is because I experienced euphyllia losses as my tank was new and stability was difficult.
I see what you mean, mightve been ambitious to get a coral this early on, but like you said I think it was the shipping this time. I have a few other more difficult corals like a fox coral and indo glowing gold yuma that i'll have to hope and pray for if thats the case. I was under the impression that if you're able to keep parameters stable, then theres not necessarily a time period.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you mean, mightve been ambitious to get a coral this early on, but like you said I think it was the shipping this time. I have a few other more difficult corals like a fox coral and indo glowing gold yuma that i'll have to hope and pray for if thats the case. I was under the impression that if you're able to keep parameters stable, then theres not necessarily a time period.
Very experienced reefers can do things but the most of us are novice and learning. Obviously if you water change and test weekly you are better prepared but the problem is month after month your tank is evolving and maturing. Algae that develops affects your parameters. Coral growth affects parameters. Coraline starting affects parameters. Increasing fish or coral stocking affects parameters. Etc.... you will see as the months move on how things change weekly as you test. When my tank hit the one year mark it went through an evolution. It was like my biome kicked into high gear. Everything came alive and vibrant, flourishing. The tank became much more stable and predictable. You will see the same. It's ok to add some basic easy corals and see how they go but try and avoid pricy more difficult pieces early on or you might find its money wasted. Obviously you are a diligent reefer but give your tank time to develop biodiversity and microfauna and your coral success rate will greatly improve.

OP
OP
Kvandenplas

Kvandenplas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very experienced reefers can do things but the most of us are novice and learning. Obviously if you water change and test weekly you are better prepared but the problem is month after month your tank is evolving and maturing. Algae that develops affects your parameters. Coral growth affects parameters. Coraline starting affects parameters. Increasing fish or coral stocking affects parameters. Etc.... you will see as the months move on how things change weekly as you test. When my tank hit the one year mark it went through an evolution. It was like my biome kicked into high gear. Everything came alive and vibrant, flourishing. The tank became much more stable and predictable. You will see the same. It's ok to add some basic easy corals and see how they go but try and avoid pricy more difficult pieces early on or you might find its money wasted. Obviously you are a diligent reefer but give your tank time to develop biodiversity and microfauna and your coral success rate will greatly improve.
Theres a good chance that i'll be shooting myself in the foot for many years to come in this hobby. I like trying difficult tasks and I like fish so its the perfect combo, except I jump head first in to things lol. And not that I want to fail with some of the harder corals I just put in, but at least I got them on black friday for cheap

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back