Is this chip in my tank catastrophic?

dach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

In preparation for a move, I was cleaning out my IM Nuvo Fusion 20 Pro and chipped the front bottom corner (see video)

Is this still useable? I tried to fill the crack with aquarium sealant, but I don’t think this fixes anything besides if there was a leak. Looking for advice to see if I need to replace the tank.

Thanks in advance

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should be fine to hold water, but what if I am wrong?

Take it out side, put it on a thick sheet of plywood and fill it up. If it holds water (and
I think it will) then you will know.

OP
OP
D

dach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It holds water, as the seal isn’t broken at all, I’m more worried about the structural integrity of the tank, and will this cause long term issues?

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankfully that crack looks entirely cosmetic to me. It's on a corner, outside edge, no 'runner', or split at the point of impact which would make the glass weaker if pushed from any direction. If it's not tempered a glass shop may even be able to bevel it so there's no risk, of either further cracks or cutting yourself on a sharp corner.

If it is tempered, that's another story.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would ask the company from which you bought the tank - everyone else is just guessing

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you dodged a bullet to me. I'd still probably fill it with silicone, just for aesthetics.

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not look like it will affect integrity of tank. Maybe look into a uv glass repair kit.

OP
OP
D

dach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankfully that crack looks entirely cosmetic to me. It's on a corner, outside edge, no 'runner', or split at the point of impact which would make the glass weaker if pushed from any direction. If it's not tempered a glass shop may even be able to bevel it so there's no risk, of either further cracks or cutting yourself on a sharp corner.

If it is tempered, that's another story.
IM doesn’t use tempered glass as far as I know.

NoohpyT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to my Nuvo 30 (still in use), mine was a little worse, slapped some JB Epoxy in there and called it a day

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM doesn’t use tempered glass as far as I know.
If that was tempered glass the impact would have done nothing like what you have. Impact damage on tempered glass turns the entire pane into tiny little pieces of rubble.

The edge where it broke ideally should be smoothed over with either a grinding wheel or sand paper to take the sharp edges off to prevent slice wounds and to limit the potential for a new crack to open up that causes the tank to fail. Pressure created from filling the tank (on the opposite side) is not likely to break the pane from that corner. If the chip was in the top edge of the tank it would be more likely to deform and fail along a fault caused by the chip. That corner is held together by three edges of glass whereas the top rim has only one edge and that being deformed without restraint if it is a rimless tank?, or being restrained by a frame or "Eurobracing" if either of those is present.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a similar chip out except on the top. It’s been fine and in use for over a year .

OP
OP
D

dach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, really helpful. I filled the corner in with silicone to make it look a bit better, but I feel more comfortable now. Those IM tanks are not cheap :’).

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, really helpful. I filled the corner in with silicone to make it look a bit better, but I feel more comfortable now. Those IM tanks are not cheap :’).
Tell me about it. The one I’m referring to is SR60.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back