Is this coral bleaching?

Fignewt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I purchased this coral from a local shop thinking it was a cyphastrea (it may not be perhaps but it's something close-ish). Does this look like it's bleaching? Perhaps the light is too strong but the polyps seem to have good coloration and extension but the base tissue looks completely white almost. As you maybe have guessed I'm somewhat new to the hobby. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

PXL_20210224_232724869.NIGHT~2.jpg

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this coral from a local shop thinking it was a cyphastrea (it may not be perhaps but it's something close-ish). Does this look like it's bleaching? Perhaps the light is too strong but the polyps seem to have good coloration and extension but the base tissue looks completely white almost. As you maybe have guessed I'm somewhat new to the hobby. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

PXL_20210224_232724869.NIGHT~2.jpg
I’m not sure but I want to ask if when it is closed is there a clear distinction between the potentially bleached base and the polyps

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyphastrea like low light. Did you just get it? If so, I think it's a generally good idea to start new frags on the bottom and slowly move it up to where you want to put it over a few weeks so it can acclimate to your light levels.

Generally, when light is too low it will turn brown over time.

Imo sudden increase on light is more detrimental to sudden decrease in light, another reason to start at the bottom.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back