Is this Coraline or something else starting to form?

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not algae! Algae comes off, coralline doesn’t
Sorry but no. Some comes off easy. Some is so small in fibre it is very difficult to remove. We have all seem the algae you have in new tanks. It's not Coraline.

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but no. Some comes off easy. Some is so small in fibre it is very difficult to remove. We have all seem the algae you have in new tanks. It's not Coraline.

Well to me it is. So that’s your opinion and I respect it, but I know it is.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is around 7-8 months old. I started it with coralline covered live rock and some white dry rock. I took some live rock and chipped off pieces of coralline (that stuff is like a rock) and ground them up. I seeded my tank with it. Only now I have some dots of coralline appearing on the dry rock. But mostly green algae. I don’t expect any of those rocks to be covered for a long time from now.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pic of my rocks. Again, 7/8 months in. Rock at top is dry rock. No coralline at all there. Rocks at bottom have coralline. You can compare to yours and see why everyone agrees that it’s not coralline.

8ECE27F6-99A6-495E-895F-DBEB2AEEF189.jpeg

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pic of my rocks. Again, 7/8 months in. Rock at top is dry rock. No coralline at all there. Rocks at bottom have coralline. You can compare to yours and see why everyone agrees that it’s not coralline.

8ECE27F6-99A6-495E-895F-DBEB2AEEF189.jpeg

Maybe I got lucky‍♀️

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: since you have the fastest growing coralline I’ve ever seen in 20 years in this hobby, where did you get all that coralline from? Did you buy it?

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: since you have the fastest growing coralline I’ve ever seen in 20 years in this hobby, where did you get all that coralline from? Did you buy it?
No I did not buy it! It came from a couple of live rocks that I got.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your rocks look like they’re dusted with something. And I have never seen coralline like that. Coralline will grow as a small dot - a tiny dot - and grow slowly overtime. I also see green algae there which is normal.

Plus, you do not want coralline to grow that fast anyway. It will build up over time and becomes really hard to remove. It will grow on glass, powerheads, almost anything.

Style185

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I did not buy it! It came from a couple of live rocks that I got.
You 2 are great lol you didn't buy them but acquired them from an established reef tank lol. Personally it's nice on the rocks but does require calcium and trace to grow therefore taking up valuable trace (which can be supplemented with dosing and or water changes) I prefer actual corals haha either way you 2 are great coraline is a sign of a happy reef. Anyhow happy reefing :)

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You 2 are great lol you didn't buy them but acquired them from an established reef tank lol. Personally it's nice on the rocks but does require calcium and trace to grow therefore taking up valuable trace (which can be supplemented with dosing and or water changes) I prefer actual corals haha either way you 2 are great coraline is a sign of a happy reef. Anyhow happy reefing :)
Lol I can do this all night Mr Scott calling me crazy.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back