Is this Coraline or something else starting to form?

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no idea, I am suprised myself! I even had to ask a guy who works at the lfs in my town and confirmed it.
CD42BE9A-84A7-4C35-9EE4-0C6A1F5677A6.jpeg
Interesting thread. Maybe I can clear this up. Th OP is correct. But the confusion seems to come from the general expectation that coraline must be purple. Maybe a misunderstanding here I believe.

When we mention coraline everyone wants and expects to see purple encrsting algea. However Coralline comes in many shades and colors, and one of the fastest growing encrusting coralline species likely to be encountered in aquaria are green in color and may make you think you have a type of nuisance algae growing on your rocks. You can distinguish green coralline algae from film algae by testing its hardness, coralline should not come off easily when toothbrushed. Fast growing green coralline algae usually takes up residence on bare rock, and is often later engulfed by epiphytic coralline algae that have "better coloring" like reds, pinks and purples.

However that being said, it's also possible for the green dusting to get overtaken by an undesirable type of green algea so it's advised to watch your parameters.

I should add that generally to grow purple coraline usually takes a while, between 6 to 12 months. And once it appears if you wish to keep it growing you will need to dose. Depending on your tank size and what you plan to keep in it you may find it best not to have coraline.

Hopefully this can clear this up a little.

Happy reefing

Last edited:

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no idea, I am suprised myself! I even had to ask a guy who works at the lfs in my town and confirmed it.

What the what? I guess I need to adjust the resolution on this computer screen........

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline actually comes in many different colors such as purple, pink, red, green, yellow and even orange. Typically what we see and aim for is the purple, red and pink type.

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline actually comes in many different colors such as purple, pink, red, green, yellow and even orange. Typically what we see and aim for is the purple, red and pink type.

I forgot to take a pic before leaving for work!! But I promise I will take it as soon as I get home!! Lol people are laughing at me, I have to prove a point hahaha.

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread. Maybe I can clear this up. Th OP is correct. But the confusion seems to come from the general expectation that coraline must be purple. Maybe a misunderstanding here I believe.

When we mention coraline everyone wants and expects to see purple encrsting algea. However Coralline comes in many shades and colors, and one of the fastest growing encrusting coralline species likely to be encountered in aquaria are green in color and may make you think you have a type of nuisance algae growing on your rocks. You can distinguish green coralline algae from film algae by testing its hardness, coralline should not come off easily when toothbrushed. Fast growing green coralline algae usually takes up residence on bare rock, and is often later engulfed by epiphytic coralline algae that have "better coloring" like reds, pinks and purples.

However that being said, it's also possible for the green dusting to get overtaken by an undesirable type of green algea so it's advised to watch your parameters.

I should add that generally to grow purple coraline usually takes a while, between 6 to 12 months. And once it appears if you wish to keep it growing you will need to dose. Depending on your tank size and what you plan to keep in it you may find it best not to have coraline.

Hopefully this can clear this up a little.

Happy reefing

I started a thread about this before. I asked what it was, they asked me to scrub it with a toothbrush, which I did and it doesn’t come off. Also, I brought a guy who works in the lfs next to my hometown to check on my tank and the fish and I asked him what that could and he told me that indeed looks like coralline. I have live rocks and a couple of snails with coralline on their shell so he said that could be a way to start getting coralline in your tank. So for now is taking its sweet time to grow, time will tell.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to take a pic before leaving for work!! But I promise I will take it as soon as I get home!! Lol people are laughing at me, I have to prove a point hahaha.
No worries. I’m not here to prove you wrong. I’m just shocked - and never heard of - coralline taking off like crazy in a month. Honestly, if you are right, you are going to be famous in the reefing community. Also, I’d be worried if this happened in my tank because IMO, coralline is ugly when it’s covering basically everything in the tank. I’ve seen some older tanks where people just let them go. The coralline covered everything including the glass and in that sense, it’s more of a nuisance.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hope nobody is laughing at you. Many of us when first learning have been there and thought and hoped that first appearance of color on our rocks was Coraline. It was only through experience that we learned it was not.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find thread after thread on this forum and plenty of info on the web about fast growing green coralline algae that eventually turns to one of various shades of red.

It’s on the internet, so it must be true...

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For what its worth, I believe you, there's purple something there. Sure its fast, but who knows? Curious to see how it progresses over time!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find thread after thread on this forum and plenty of info on the web about fast growing green coralline algae that eventually turns to one of various shades of red.

It’s on the internet, so it must be true...
And then dinos!! And GHA!! ;Dead

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hope nobody is laughing at you. Many of us when first learning have been there and thought and hoped that first appearance of color on our rocks was Coraline. It was only through experience that we learned it was not.

Lol :oops:well they are telling me is impossible. John fishman is haha

Last edited:

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3E4812D5-C203-4B6E-A3BE-068E36DE2DE6.jpeg 7CB0CA4E-A8A8-4904-B52F-D20EF3204D3E.jpeg 4129E219-71FE-4CC5-97D2-FA458893177D.jpeg 802BE4FD-0A81-4B7A-8E3B-44E0917BAFCC.jpeg D5D5227A-931D-41E6-B9B4-7B8FFCBDA9F2.jpeg 9E0F29E2-A5F8-447D-9C66-1BC29F8EFEAC.jpeg B97C67BA-D52C-42D5-BEC4-6B0CF230AFD3.jpeg 68D9E6A3-42C0-4096-B3D9-6C56BE9CD94D.jpeg 986A5269-5598-428E-A99C-B9F1E63EEE9B.jpeg
I am using the Iphone 10 and I swear it takes the ugliest pictures lol ... Anyways let me know, I posted lots of them different angles haha.

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth, I believe you, there's purple something there. Sure its fast, but who knows? Curious to see how it progresses over time!

Thank you for believing me I really hope it is. I know is not cyano because it doesn’t come off at all.

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for believing me I really hope it is. I know is not cyano because it doesn’t come off at all.

My tank is slightly older than yours, maybe a month and a half, and looks similar. I don’t have any purples like you do but I started with dry rock. I’m rooting for you because I’d like to see coralline start soon in my tank!
This is what I’ve got going on with ambient light and no Radions.

53ec93725340c654bf8987988eb6c822.jpg
9cae61c61657fd6fee2918f06af59a8d.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back