Is this coralline and how to get rid of this other stuff

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hey guys, while I was doing a water change I noticed that there's some spots on my rock, not sure if it's the start of coralline algae(hoping it is). Can you guys confirm?Also unfortunately a menance of my tank has returned, it's the wavy algae and it is on just about everything almost overnight, any ideas on getting rid of it. Last time I did a big water change and went dark for about a week but now I have a lot more corals so I'm not sure if that's an option now. I'm running phosguard, purigen sponge and bio media.
Params are all almost 0 other than phosphate which is .25. I feed my single clownfish roughly 5 pellets a day, and my cuc is 2 hermits and 2 astria snails.

image.jpg

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks Will surely be able to help you with this. My opinion though, it very well could be coralline. How long has the tank been running? I am having a hard time telling what the other stuff is though. The stringy stuff on the middle rock appear to possibly be hair algae, and the "fuzz" in your first picture looks like it might just be a bacterial film. As far as how to get rid of it, if the tank is new just give it time. New tanks go through many different algae stages that just take time to go away.

OP
OP
S

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks Will surely be able to help you with this. My opinion though, it very well could be coralline. How long has the tank been running? I am having a hard time telling what the other stuff is though. The stringy stuff on the middle rock appear to possibly be hair algae, and the "fuzz" in your first picture looks like it might just be a bacterial film. As far as how to get rid of it, if the tank is new just give it time. New tanks go through many different algae stages that just take time to go away.
It's not very new, coming on 9 months. In all honesty I didn't do anything with it until about 4 months, it's doing very well but it seems there's just these few things. I'm wondering if it Is coralline because I recently introduced a few frags that had it on them but I'm not sure if it would be able to spread within a month. If it's not coralline I'd like to figure out what it is to make sure it's not going to harm my corals. Also the film just seems to be growing so I think it's a type of hair algae but it just won't go away and it spreads like wild fire

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. If it's hard and stuck on the rock yea probably corraline.

But I would really suggest some more and diverse snails in there. A couple small Mexican turbos probably among them. not sir how big the tank is.

OP
OP
S

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. If it's hard and stuck on the rock yea probably corraline.

But I would really suggest some more and diverse snails in there. A couple small Mexican turbos probably among them. not sir how big the tank is.
It's a 5 gallon which is part of the problem because I'm pretty limited for what I can have. I'll have to check if it's hard and stuck. Thanks

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I've had a few small tanks.
You'll still want snails.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back