Is this Cyphastrea doomed?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the poor quality of the photo. I just received this as a freebie with an order I made. The polyps look okay, but there is almost no tissue in between them. Is it dying?

1636069204317.png

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, try 5 min iodine dip, dip rinse with tank water,mod flow, mod light ,enough tissue there, worth a shot.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and only good clean water and proper lighting will help it, Proper lighting meaning they dont need huge amounts of par ,, they like lower lighting conditions. Poor water conditions are probably to blame
It just arrived today and I had made a large water change beforehand and parameters are good, so I will give it the recommended iodine dip and keep my fingers crossed.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always worth a shot if there is tissue. I'm not an expert on cyphastrea, but I have a meteor show frag that was doing well, used some vinegar near it to kill some mushroom. ticked off the coral really bad, receding tissue, etc. I though it was a goner, it fully recovered and is encrusting. Even the frag plate it was on I kept with a couple of tiny heads still alive, planning to move to a better spot. Both mine are near the bottom of my tank.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 110 76.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back