2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20191018_022309132.jpg
IMG_20191018_022327090.jpg
IMG_20191018_022852315.jpg
I bottomed out my nitrate & phosphate about a month ago and I have been syphoning this stuff up every few days. slimy green stringy some has bubbles on the end some doesn't. I don't have a microscope & haven't had any losses of fish Coral's snails but can't get rid of it, comes back every few days after syphoning it up. What do you guys think?

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20191018_022309132.jpg
IMG_20191018_022327090.jpg
IMG_20191018_022852315.jpg
I bottomed out my nitrate & phosphate about a month ago and I have been syphoning this stuff up every few days. slimy green stringy some has bubbles on the end some doesn't. I don't have a microscope & haven't had any losses of fish Coral's snails but can't get rid of it, comes back every few days after syphoning it up. What do you guys think?
Hi Fuel -

Yes, if stringy with bubbles it's highly likely it's Dino's. Running super low Nitrate and Phosphate even with a fuge gave me Dino's as well. I've tried multiple things, but what worked for me was a 3 day blackout. Additionally i did some studying on why this stuff and Algae occur. You just need to put back some bacteria. I followed the two week process of Dr. Tim's (Refresh and Waste-Away), couple of caps of each (follow the schedule), a few small water changes, and it never came back. Easiest for you might just to be start with the blackout, it wont hurt anything. After the Dr. Tims method, i turned my skimmer to 18/6 versus 24/7 and that allowed natural bacteria to pass through. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
fuelman

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Fuel -

Yes, if stringy with bubbles it's highly likely it's Dino's. Running super low Nitrate and Phosphate even with a fuge gave me Dino's as well. I've tried multiple things, but what worked for me was a 3 day blackout. Additionally i did some studying on why this stuff and Algae occur. You just need to put back some bacteria. I followed the two week process of Dr. Tim's (Refresh and Waste-Away), couple of caps of each (follow the schedule), a few small water changes, and it never came back. Easiest for you might just to be start with the blackout, it wont hurt anything. After the Dr. Tims method, i turned my skimmer to 18/6 versus 24/7 and that allowed natural bacteria to pass through. Hope this helps!
thanks for the response, i have been looking through the treatment threads & the big dino thread dr tim's seems to be the best bet. so you put your skimmer on a timer 18 hours on & 6 hours off & it's worked good for you ?

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the response, i have been looking through the treatment threads & the big dino thread dr tim's seems to be the best bet. so you put your skimmer on a timer 18 hours on & 6 hours off & it's worked good for you ?
Yup, i did add around that time a UV but honestly it's under powered for a 130g, but i'm not saying it didnt help, just that ultimately it was the Dr. Tims and reducing the skimmer back a bit. Yes, since then i've been good... I have very minor GHA on some rock, but like who doesnt and it's not a bad thing.

OP
OP
fuelman

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, i did add around that time a UV but honestly it's under powered for a 130g, but i'm not saying it didnt help, just that ultimately it was the Dr. Tims and reducing the skimmer back a bit. Yes, since then i've been good... I have very minor GHA on some rock, but like who doesnt and it's not a bad thing.
Great I got a timer already I'm gonna give that a try & the Dr Tim's, thanks!!!

JamesUcla1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When are you turning off the skimmer? Days or nights, or does it matter?

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH dropped a tad, so whenever your pH is higher normally.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back