Is this GHA?

thoughtnomad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Is this GHA? I think it's likely, but wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Also I know my blasto isn't looking well, so I'm trying to figure out what to do about it. It was, but then I tried cleaning off what I thought was the GHA with a soft bristle toothbrush, and it closed up. Baster wasn't removing it, unfortunately. Hasn't opened since yesterday, and now I see a spot at the bottom right of it that looks to be dying... I'll post a separate thread about that if my research doesn't turn anything up, but comments/advice are always welcome.

GHA.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
GHA and now developing into Bryopsis. Pull as much as you can by hand and lower white light intensity. Add some cleaner snails:

Turbo
trochus
astrea
nerite
Cerith
nassarius
about 10 blue leg hermits

Yu can treat chemically also using liquid vibrant which works well.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, sim to what vetteguy53981 said, Manually remove/siphon out, check NO3 and PO4 are in range, lessen feeding, shorten light intervals, add CUC if you don’t have and a tang or 2 depending on tank size and lawnmower blenny. Be patient. Will take time to eradicate.

OP
OP
thoughtnomad

thoughtnomad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA and now developing into Bryopsis. Pull as much as you can by hand and lower white light intensity. Add some cleaner snails:

Turbo
trochus
astrea
nerite
Cerith
nassarius
about 10 blue leg hermits

Yu can treat chemically also using liquid vibrant which works well.

Thank you! I have 10 nassarius snails coming in, hopefully early next week, and am planning a trip to the LFS in two days, so will look to pick up some other snails and maybe some blue legs. Are the blue legs compatible with red tips and dwarf zebras? I already have 5 of each of those in my tank. I do have one banded trochus, but he doesn't seem to do much. In fact, I've thought he was dead more than once... He's not.

As for the white light, that's a really good point. I swapped my light to a AI Prime HD 16 last week, and this bloomed much more over the past few days. Originally, it was a few strands, but it's gotten to the point where I can take a decent picture of it now. I'll turn down the white on it.

OP
OP
thoughtnomad

thoughtnomad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, sim to what vetteguy53981 said, Manually remove/siphon out, check NO3 and PO4 are in range, lessen feeding, shorten light intervals, add CUC if you don’t have and a tang or 2 depending on tank size and lawnmower blenny. Be patient. Will take time to eradicate.

Thank you for the fish suggestions. I'll see if my LFS has them in a couple days. I don't currently have any fish, so will look to add them. I've been intending to add some for a little while now, but have been taking my time adding any others after my tank crashed a month after I got it...

OP
OP
thoughtnomad

thoughtnomad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my NO3 is zero and my PO4 is high according to the Seachem test kit. All other levels are zero according to the tests I do. Calcium is at about 450. PO4 at 0.5.

I’m not sure I trust the Seachem so I just ordered the Hanna to get a second opinion. My problem with Seachem is depending on the lighting, it changes and my eyes aren’t great. What’s the ideal for PO4? I have a couple softies (Xenia), a pagoda and the blasto (which I’d like to save, it’s in bad shape). From the Seachem test my PO4 is at 0.5 but that doesn’t seem likely since I barely feed and don’t have fish. The test is difficult to decipher, though, so I could be off. I’m pretty ignorant though, so there could be other factors I’m not aware of.

Sorry to hijack my own thread, but it all seems related.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back