Is this ICH in my DT?

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on my new tank and 2 clowns. The fish have been added 5 days ago. For a little while all was looking well but now i'm worried for the small clown.
Both off the clowns had white stringy poo in the first days and didn't eat much. The larger clown is now eating well and very active and the white stringy poo has since disappeared. It is swimming fine and seems to be happy.

The little one who was more active in the beginning now has stopped eating and still has white stringy poo, and is acting lethargic, eyes look bigger and is staying in one place. I'm really worried about him. Yesterday I spotted what seems to be a 2 white spots on its tail. Is this ICH?

01ffff45-e62a-4b0f-a434-30ffe1a31699.jpg

The clowns where not in QT because this is my first tank and they where the first additions (I know now that I should QT and this will be a wise lesson for the future)
I just ordered a small QT and HOB filter and heater so I can set up a QT. Can I just add some bio-media from the DT in the QT and keep an eye on the parameters and do a water change when the parameter are too high or would you treat in the DT since there are no corals or other lifestock?

In addition to the tank I bought some garlic extract and also some pellets with garlic in them to see if I can get him to eat.

I'm trying to find a way to cure him but have some questions and hope you can help me with them.

1. Do you think this is the beginning of ICH?
  2. If I should use the QT should I add both to it or only the small one?
  3. I ordered some API general cure a couple of days ago, (cause of the white stringy poo I was thinking it of parasites) will this work for ICH or do I need something else
  4. Is my DT now contaminated and should I keep it empty for 72 days?
  5. I ordered some Microbe-Lift Herbtana Saltwater anyone knows if this will help?
  6. Any other advice you can give me.
I have been reading up on humblefish's site for ICH but also would like your recommendations. I really home I can save the little guy (funny how attached you can get in 5 days).

Thanks in advance!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get some prazipro and dose that into the tank. Stringy white poop is usually an internal parasite. API general cure works too and can be feed using seachem focus and food if you can't do a QT. The two dots on the tail I am not sure but I have never seen ich only appear on two spots on a tail so I am doubting it is that.

OP
OP
Tim'sReef

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get some prazipro and dose that into the tank. Stringy white poop is usually an internal parasite. API general cure works too and can be feed using seachem focus and food if you can't do a QT. The two dots on the tail I am not sure but I have never seen ich only appear on two spots on a tail so I am doubting it is that.
Hi thanks for you're answer do you think it will also work do use API general cure if I use this in the QT, reason is I'm in Europe and there are some restrictions on the meds we can get here. I hope the API general cure is going to arrive and not be picked out by customs. Same goes for seachem focus, it's just not available where I am at.

I will keep a close eye to the spots and hope no more show up

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. I ordered some Microbe-Lift Herbtana Saltwater anyone knows if this will help?
  2. Any other advice you can give me.
That microbe lift whatever looks like the most snake-oily bullcrap I’ve ever seen...

search for humblefish quarantine instructions and it’ll tell you everything you need to do.

OP
OP
Tim'sReef

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That microbe lift whatever looks like the most snake-oily bullcrap I’ve ever seen...

search for humblefish quarantine instructions and it’ll tell you everything you need to do.
Haha I was thinking the same but it couldn't hurt. In europe a lot of medication is only available with a prescription.

I have ordered stuff from the USA but this will take some time.

I hope my QT wil arrive tomorrow and will be setting it up according the humblefish instructions.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thanks for you're answer do you think it will also work do use API general cure if I use this in the QT, reason is I'm in Europe and there are some restrictions on the meds we can get here. I hope the API general cure is going to arrive and not be picked out by customs. Same goes for seachem focus, it's just not available where I am at.

I will keep a close eye to the spots and hope no more show up

Yes general cure in a qt should work.

OP
OP
Tim'sReef

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the clowns have been doing a bunch better the last couple of days. I have been dosing Microbe Lift Herbtana and while it was a long shot (some said snake oil and I was thinking it might be as well) it seems to have given them a nice immune boost. They seem to be more active and look healthier.

The smaller one is now eating again and the white stringy poop is almost gone. I'm now cycling the QT and was wondering if you guys think I still should be treating them with API general cure (if it arrives in the next couple of days) or use the de-worm / de-parasites I ordered here from the EU or if i should let them be if things continue to improve the way they are in the DT?

The little still has two little white dots on its tail on the transparant ending, but if this was ICH should this have spread by now? Am I right in making that assumption?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the clowns have been doing a bunch better the last couple of days. I have been dosing Microbe Lift Herbtana and while it was a long shot (some said snake oil and I was thinking it might be as well) it seems to have given them a nice immune boost. They seem to be more active and look healthier.

The smaller one is now eating again and the white stringy poop is almost gone. I'm now cycling the QT and was wondering if you guys think I still should be treating them with API general cure (if it arrives in the next couple of days) or use the de-worm / de-parasites I ordered here from the EU or if i should let them be if things continue to improve the way they are in the DT?

The little still has two little white dots on its tail on the transparant ending, but if this was ICH should this have spread by now? Am I right in making that assumption?

I personally would still do the general cure but that is up to you.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back