Is this Ich on my Copperband ???

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Copperband has been out of QT for a week now. He was in QT for 5 weeks. (First week in normal water, and 4 weeks in HyperSalinity mix). He was in QT with a Powder Blue Tang as well.

The Powder Blue shows no sign of wear. I am also running a UV Sterilizer in my DT as well.

Anyways, I noticed earlier this week some white 'stuff' on my Copperband. I assumed it was 'war' wounds from one of my tangs. Although I haven't noticed the tangs going at him (doesn't mean it hasn't happened).

But I didn't think it was Ich because the white stuff sticks off the fish too far and comes to almost a 'point'. I also haven't noticed him running on rocks or itching. There is 'some' of it also on the tail of the fish as well. So I'm starting to think its not 'wounds', but also don't think its 'ich'?
IMG_20181118_082722.jpg
IMG_20181118_082724.jpg
IMG_20181118_082728.jpg
IMG_20181118_082744.jpg
IMG_20181118_082747.jpg
IMG_20181118_082756.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing war wounds, in the very last picture you can see hes missing little chunks of his tail fin. Possibly war wounds that have become infected.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have cleaner shrimp in your tank ..they will help clean your copperband and other fish ...

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have one cleaner shrimp who has done nothing but hide under a rock and do nothing since I put him in there 3 months ago :-(. He's eating just fine however. I Feed him a claim in the morning and target feed live black worms twice daily as well. He devours his food.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like lympho and perhaps flukes to me. Doesn’t look like ich. I’d monitor it.

Do the spots move at all day to day? If so, they are giant flukes (they look too large to be flukes but I thought I’d ask)

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on keeping your cbb alive 6 weeks. I’ve only reached 6 weeks on one of mine, and he took to eating frozen clams too.

I don’t think it’s ich. For reasons above and also bc you say he was in QT for 5 weeks with the PBT. Even though it can be harder to see ich on a PBT, it would be your “canary in a mineshaft” for ich.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on keeping your cbb alive 6 weeks. I’ve only reached 6 weeks on one of mine, and he took to eating frozen clams too.

I don’t think it’s ich. For reasons above and also bc you say he was in QT for 5 weeks with the PBT. Even though it can be harder to see ich on a PBT, it would be your “canary in a mineshaft” for ich.
LOL...It took me 2 weeks to get him to eat anything at all. I threw the grocery store at him trying to figure out what I could get him to eat. I tried the traditional items (frozen brine shrimp, Reef Frenzy, etc...). Couldn't find live claims, so tried clams in a can. Tried scallops. Tried frozen blood worms. Tried freeze dried tubifex worms. FINALLY, broke down and bought some live blackwarms for $90 w/shipping for 1/2 lbs online. After feeding these for 2 days and nothing..he finally started eating them. Now he'll go after live claims (finally, found some!), the blackworms...and will even eat freeze dried blackworms that I purchased on amazon. But yea, it was an adventure.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like lympho and perhaps flukes to me. Doesn’t look like ich. I’d monitor it.

Do the spots move at all day to day? If so, they are giant flukes (they look too large to be flukes but I thought I’d ask)
I haven't seen any spots move; but haven't really looked to closely. I saw them a couple days ago but didn't think much of it as I thought it was just war wounds. However, after doing some research I think you might be right, it does looks like Lympho. In my reading some said I need to QT it; others say I shouldn't. What's your take on it. Will my uv sterilizer help protect my other fish from getting Lympho? Or does UV have no effect on neutralizing it in the water column? Seems the take I've read is Lympho is a result of a fish getting stressed, so QT it will only stress it more (in most cases). So its recommended just leaving it be and feeding it a high protein diet. Which with a Copperband, I guess that just means feeding it more then 3x a day (as I am already), since my feeding options for it are limited.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's just lympho it will eventually go away on its own. Keeping pristine water and adding vitamin supplements can help speed up the going away process. Lympho is a virus. So it can't be erradicated with medicine.

If it's lympho with flukes you will need to treat the tank. Still wouldn't require a QT as Prazipro can be used safely in a DT

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's just lympho it will eventually go away on its own. Keeping pristine water and adding vitamin supplements can help speed up the going away process. Lympho is a virus. So it can't be erradicated with medicine.

If it's lympho with flukes you will need to treat the tank. Still wouldn't require a QT as Prazipro can be used safely in a DT
PraziPro can't be used with inverts or corals though can it? I also have two anemone. I dont think it has flukes, as I did give it PraziPro while in QT as well. But I've only been doing this 5 months, so I could be wrong[emoji3]. Any suggestions on vitamin supplement?

pga7602

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like flukes, but a quick fresh water dip can be use to confirm

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PraziPro can't be used with inverts or corals though can it? I also have two anemone. I dont think it has flukes, as I did give it PraziPro while in QT as well. But I've only been doing this 5 months, so I could be wrong[emoji3]. Any suggestions on vitamin supplement?
Prazipro won't harm inverts. Only possibly ornamental worms and feather dusters.

I use zoecon, selcon, and vitachem for supplements.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just spend the last hour starring at the tank try to catch the thing to try to dip him. Didn't even get close[emoji58]. Prob wasted $3 of blackworms though...lol

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just spend the last hour starring at the tank try to catch the thing to try to dip him. Didn't even get close[emoji58]. Prob wasted $3 of blackworms though...lol
Just dosed some PraziPro since I could to get him out. Still not sure it's flukes, but guess it can't heard to be sure

Quovadis Green

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Was wondering if anyone could help me I added the Powder Blue and blue jaw about 3 weeks ago now they look like This my Puffer is now sick with cloudy eye hope I don’t lose my whole stock

27599BF8-B50F-444A-9461-FE929D0C6EFF.jpeg

11D9E8E3-7DC2-4ADC-96F6-8906D06A0499.jpeg

102EC532-192B-46EF-B1B9-1831F6B8BA0B.jpeg

611C5048-28A2-4B73-9C1B-4E8B443FB080.jpeg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Quovadis Green

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are dealing with velvet. You need to move fish to QT and start treatment ASAP.

Is it safe to assume you didn't QT them?

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/
Very New To Hobby and up until the last 2 I added Tank no issues but now my Puffer eye is cloudy he isn’t eating and laying on bottom of tank . I do not have crabs or snails or even corals is there anything I can use to treat DT I don’t have setup for another tank I can try but that will take days and I’ve already lost one Niger Trigger

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back