0   0   0
spot.jpg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treatment calls for prazipro. Freshwater dips are used for temporary relief.

In an ideal world, you’d catch all fish to treat them and let tank run fallow for flukes, but prazipro is reef safe and can be used in a display tank (worms and feather dusters will die).

Whatever the case may be, prazipro needs extra aeration when being used. It also requires 2 doses 7 days apart: 1 tsp per 20 gallons.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not flukes but typical clown disease known as brooklynella.
At the onset, fish may scrape up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus. Very quickly the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable symptom of Brooklynella is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections.
Typical treatment is a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, all fish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief may be provided by giving fish a FW bath or dip. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brooknella: skin mucus sloughing off with FAST DEATH RATE:
74C69FA9-9AF2-45CA-8956-816AC9E444CF.jpeg

Fish with flukes: Less deadly unless they also infect gills or when heavily infested.
E667E5E5-774B-423A-9C58-877A03E60DC2.jpeg

Formalin (formeldahyde) treats both brook and flukes. (Handle with caution - causes cancer).

Metroplex treats brooknella (safe for humans to handle)

prazipro treats flukes (very safe to handle).

I don’t have experience with h202 dosing, but know that that is an option that is reef safe and treats brook and some cases of flukes.

OP
OP
L

LowBucks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You all! Finally a response! I've already lost fish though. Dipped who I thought was the culprit a Picasso clown looked great for about a day then went bottoms up. Then followed was my Royal Gramma who was scraping and flashing dipped her then placed her in quarantine she went the way of the DoDO and now my Blue Hippo is on the verge. I have him in QT using cupramine not looking good at all. Any other ideas. I've gotten to the point where all I want to do is disassemble the tank repair the whole in the wall I made to display it and call it a day. I've got alot of work and money invested so I need all the help I can get.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back