Is this ick or something else, it’s been there a while

Ireland.Escada

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 13, 2022
Messages
102
Reaction score
69
Location
Rifle
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

My angle fish has this marking on her face. I thought it was a scratch from hitting the rocks. It’s been there for a while.

I left town for 3 weeks and the tank needs some extra loving. But her spot seems to be a little bigger. The lips also seem to look a little different.

I don’t have a separate tank. Chems are more than likely very bad. New hair algae, cyno algae, and maybe some bubble algae. I did a 10 gal change last night and going to do another. LFS suggested I don’t do too many water changes and let the tank ride out.

I have an BTA so I am worried about adding any chemical treatments. I also don’t have another tank.

7650936F-3EDA-43F2-BE2D-88ED27E90838.jpeg 313BE6EB-A1D8-4336-BA8C-FC6165D7684A.jpeg 2B4EAA05-FA4C-40E8-947A-8EE2B0564109.jpeg 2B4D66A7-F0BE-49EF-8438-F1CEC30C421F.jpeg B9D3D757-FA54-4464-9B4E-8AC72A7680E6.jpeg
 
Hey all,

My angle fish has this marking on her face. I thought it was a scratch from hitting the rocks. It’s been there for a while.

I left town for 3 weeks and the tank needs some extra loving. But her spot seems to be a little bigger. The lips also seem to look a little different.

I don’t have a separate tank. Chems are more than likely very bad. New hair algae, cyno algae, and maybe some bubble algae. I did a 10 gal change last night and going to do another. LFS suggested I don’t do too many water changes and let the tank ride out.

I have an BTA so I am worried about adding any chemical treatments. I also don’t have another tank.

7650936F-3EDA-43F2-BE2D-88ED27E90838.jpeg 313BE6EB-A1D8-4336-BA8C-FC6165D7684A.jpeg 2B4EAA05-FA4C-40E8-947A-8EE2B0564109.jpeg 2B4D66A7-F0BE-49EF-8438-F1CEC30C421F.jpeg B9D3D757-FA54-4464-9B4E-8AC72A7680E6.jpeg
I am fortunate to have just gotten a new High end computer with large screen and was able to zoom into fish. I see a couple of things and am curious if you just got fish or have had it for a while. This heyhole looks nice with exception of :

The dots you see are mucus spores associated with cryptocaryon which is in essence marine ich. Additionally, the fish has developed erosion around mouth and lateral line known as HLLE.
You are going to need to treat this fish in a separate quarantine tank and treat for crypto in which Best treatment would be coppersafe or general cure with coppersafe my choice at therapuetic level 2.25-2.5 monitored with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand, not Api
Also monitor ammonia level with a reliable test kit during treatment and would not be a bad idea to add an air stone for added oxygen during treatment
You will also need to leave display tank Fishless (Fallow) for at least 6-8 weeks to assure the cysts and trophants have completed their life cycle without a host and have died off
For the HLLE , you simply want to keep your water quality pristine and assure fish is getting good and proper diet. This is not a fish to feed flake and pellet food only. Some good foods to offer it are :
LRS fish frenzy
Ocean nutrition angel and butterfly formula
Formula 2 frozen
Marine cuisine
Mysis shrimp
Spirulina brine shrimp

Check ammonia with reliable test kit. I have no faith in badges either.
 
I see some white spots, but they are in different locations, so I think they are on the glass or in the water.

How long have you had the fish?
Is it still eating well?

I see an overall pale color to the fish, as well as what looks like an injury around the mouth.

Since you don't have a treatment tank, you are limited to supportive therapy - good water quality and the best diet you can offer it.

Jay
 
Update: I did the focus with the Metiplex and she is looking way better. To answer a few questions: she had this for a few months. I got the tank in February 2022.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 50

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new