Is this algae? Or something else?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mk3guy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mk3guy

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 1, 2024
Messages
22
Reaction score
23
Location
Broward County
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, long story short, I had to set up another tank for my increasingly aggressive clown. The tank has been cycling for 6 weeks, about a week ago it was showing no nitrites or ammonia. I started to notice like a white film and strands on the rocks, and yesterday when I set up the light, the charcoal and matrix bags in the filter were covered in this white stuff. I don’t know if it is algae, bacteria, or something else. I mostly want to make sure it’s safe for the clown. I haven’t really fed the tank since the second week of cycling, could it be dinos? Attached are the best images I could get. Thanks in advance

IMG_1072.jpeg IMG_1071.jpeg IMG_1070.jpeg
 
Do toy use an organic carbon source? Which additives did you use in the start-up?

Probably bacteria film - IMO

Sincerely Lasse
 
Fishless fuel to start, randomly feeds of frozen mysis and phyto, supplemented with stability every week. I use the same carbon as my main tank, no name brand that I get from my local aquarium shop in bulk.
 
Bacterial bloom is my conclusion. Will consume oxygen - important with aeration - either trough the skimmer or air stone during the bloom.

Sincerely Lasse
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new