Is this ick?

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone. Out of no where my royal gramma and kole tang have white spots all over them. I am guessing it’s ick. Can someone confirm this?

1119B3EB-0877-474D-AAEA-B7B852762DD5.jpeg 9573F3BB-DD45-4A97-BE48-BFB6705ABBBB.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 6-8 weeks ago. A few snails and emerald crabs. Can I treat this in the main display?
Unfortunately no. There is no reef safe treatment. The best way to completely eradicate is to treat in a quarantine tank for 30 days with copper power, and let the main tank go fishless for 76 days to starve out any parasites (this will cover ich, velvet, brook ect...)

AquaholicAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks more like velvet to me, and those are hardy guys (can handle copper fine) but the kole tang won’t have much time if it is velvet. Don’t waste your time with “reef safe” treatments. I would get a cheap small petco tank with HOB and some bottled bacteria and treat them in there. A freshwater dip will help relieve the tang for a bit Incase you can’t get anything tonight. Would like to see pics of tang if you can.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately no. There is no reef safe treatment. The best way to completely eradicate is to treat in a quarantine tank for 30 days with copper power, and let the main tank go fishless for 76 days to starve out any parasites (this will cover ich, velvet, brook ect...)

+1 This looks like velvet which is much more sinister than ich and it does kill quickly, often times in matter of a day or two. Are they still eating?

I'd act fast and get them in QT with HOB Filter, heater, bottle of biospira nitrifying bacteria, and ammonia alert badge. Add half dose of copper and wait 12 hours and add the second half to reach therapeutic levels.

There are many threads and resources under the fish disease forum category on how to treat.

Good-luck!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back