Is this ok for the top on DIY aquarium stand?

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be for a 48”x24” foot print aquarium, the frame is 46”x22” so there would be a 2” permit overhang. Would this be ok? Is the 3/4” enough or overkill? Any other recommendations?

IMG_8336.png IMG_8343.png

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kennedy makes a quality tool box. I'm sure that can be extrapolated over to their work benches. But you need to check it's load rating. Tank + 8.25 lbs per gallon can equal a lot.

I'd be using 3/4 marine ply for my top. I wouldn't trust HDP. But I'm a old cranky guy who resists modernity and plastics when possible. Regardless 46" is a big span without anything to support it other than edges.

Also important, is this a framed tank? Framed tanks only need support under the frame. Frameless need support everywhere.

OP
OP
~MD~Reefs~

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kennedy makes a quality tool box. I'm sure that can be extrapolated over to their work benches. But you need to check it's load rating. Tank + 8.25 lbs per gallon can equal a lot.

I'd be using 3/4 marine ply for my top. I wouldn't trust HDP. But I'm a old cranky guy who resists modernity and plastics when possible. Regardless 46" is a big span without anything to support it other than edges.

Also important, is this a framed tank? Framed tanks only need support under the frame. Frameless need support everywhere.
I’d have to see where I can find that locally. I went to Home Depot but they did not have Marine Plywood. I was a little worried about the weight but the specifications say it can hold up to 6,700lbs. Most likely it’s going to be a 50 Gallon Lowboy frag tank, I’m still waiting on quotes but the highest I would go is 20”, so 100 Gallons. Either way it would be well under the advertised 6k+ rating. If it’s the lowboy, it’ll be framed. If it ends up being custom, then rimless. One thing I was worried about if I went framed, since the top would be overhanging 2” around the entire frame, would it be an issue that this is where a framed tank sits? Or would the weight of the framed tank get spread out?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d have to see where I can find that locally. I went to Home Depot but they did not have Marine Plywood. I was a little worried about the weight but the specifications say it can hold up to 6,700lbs. Most likely it’s going to be a 50 Gallon Lowboy frag tank, I’m still waiting on quotes but the highest I would go is 20”, so 100 Gallons. Either way it would be well under the advertised 6k+ rating. If it’s the lowboy, it’ll be framed. If it ends up being custom, then rimless. One thing I was worried about if I went framed, since the top would be overhanging 2” around the entire frame, would it be an issue that this is where a framed tank sits? Or would the weight of the framed tank get spread out?
San fran area?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do first thing tomorrow. Thank you!
You don't even have to buy marine grade. It's just better for our application. But 3/4 hardwood ply AB (cabinet grade) with a good oil based paint or boat worthy polyurethane top coat will do perfect. If you go the clear sealant path, products from Total Boat are fantastic.

I used 3/4 Baltic birch sealed Total Boat Halcyon on my last two stands. You can see one of them in my build thread.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 45.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 71 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.4%
Back