Is this peninsula floating light mount feasible?

canjosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem: I have a 4 foot CADE peninsula, will back up to a wall with shiplap. Hanging lights from ceiling not an option (open to 2nd floor above). I was planning on using ReeFi Uno 2 lights, 2 units. I don't have them in-hand, but they weigh 2.2 pounds each according to their website. I don't think deflection of extruded aluminum such as 1515 will be an issue with these...1.9mm of deflection according to my calculations using the 8020 website.

My main questions are:
Is there a secure way to mount aluminum to this shiplap wall?

How tall should the vertical run of aluminum be? Is there a significant load bearing advantage to a longer vertical run?

This is more of a question about the lighting rather than the mount itself: How far would you run the cantilever over a 4 foot tank? I'd likely be running the 90 degree reeflectors on the lights, to minimize spillage of light.

Open to any and all advice. Thanks!

IMG_0204.jpg
IMG_0203.jpg

Fish_NE_Where

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can mount to the wall or or stand. Shoulnt have much deflection. If you do, you can beef up the attachment points. I went with corner brackets for mine. Photos are buried way back I can post new shots in the morning. I ordered all my 2020 channel and brackets on Amazon, pretty solid selection and cheap. Used a standard wood blade in my miter saw to cut them to length worked surprisingly well.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C
The problem: I have a 4 foot CADE peninsula, will back up to a wall with shiplap. Hanging lights from ceiling not an option (open to 2nd floor above). I was planning on using ReeFi Uno 2 lights, 2 units. I don't have them in-hand, but they weigh 2.2 pounds each according to their website. I don't think deflection of extruded aluminum such as 1515 will be an issue with these...1.9mm of deflection according to my calculations using the 8020 website.

My main questions are:
Is there a secure way to mount aluminum to this shiplap wall?

How tall should the vertical run of aluminum be? Is there a significant load bearing advantage to a longer vertical run?

This is more of a question about the lighting rather than the mount itself: How far would you run the cantilever over a 4 foot tank? I'd likely be running the 90 degree reeflectors on the lights, to minimize spillage of light.

Open to any and all advice. Thanks!

IMG_0204.jpg
IMG_0203.jpg
can you use a Radion mount on both ends with rail system ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back