Is this Plating or encrusting montipora?

fishboy2021

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 21, 2021
Messages
19
Reaction score
3
Location
Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this montipora from my Lfs about a month ago , guy there said it was plating but I’m not sure, any ideas,

it was growing on egg crate if that helps

image.jpg
 
im no expert, but the fact that it is plating out, would make me go with plating. Encrusting tends to grow on and form around rock work (meaning I would expect it to be encrusted all over the egg crate (ie the shape of the eggc rate)).
Awesome, thanks for the help
 
Looks like cupping/plating to me, but the edges aren't quite as smooth/circular as I'd expect. Maybe it's the mount. I can't really tell what's underneath it.
 
Bought this montipora from my Lfs about a month ago , guy there said it was plating but I’m not sure, any ideas,

it was growing on egg crate if that helps

image.jpg
Tough to tell, but if it's orange, most likely plating and fast growing.
 

Attachments

  • Resizer_16271642862080.jpg
    Resizer_16271642862080.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 140
Looks like a playing montiporta. I don’t think the plating is quite as pronounced as a normal red or green cap but it’s definitely plating
 
Given the pattern of its coenstrum ridges, Id wager its montipora hodgsoni or foliosa, which can both encrust and plate/whorl, they tend to encrust a bit more than species like capricornis or florida which predominantly whorl/ plate.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new