Is this RTN???

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
Is this RTN? This acro was growing really nice, white tips showing growth, now I see this small spot of white? Could be a shaded area but below it seems fine...
Thoughts??

c4dfe33fb64a64396af5ef8bb9f68ca9.jpg

Here is a few weeks back :
23aa240356debace78b97e453fd687c9.jpg

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its doesn't look like a RTN. Its more like something took a bite of it...

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
Is this RTN? This acro was growing really nice, white tips showing growth, now I see this small spot of white? Could be a shaded area but below it seems fine...
Thoughts??

What corals are near it? I see Duncan's, what else?

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
Thoughts??

It is certainly tissue loss. Stn/rtn really just refers to the speed it strips tissue. Rtn usually happens over a significant portion of the coral in less than 24hrs, this is more likely stn. You can try to apply cyanoacrylate mixed with kanamycin if it starts to spread. Just keep everything stable and cross your fingers.

OP
OP
DarthSimon

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of those Duncans is close, but I have not seen it touch..... Can I snip off that arm or just leave it alone? Not sure what cyanoacrylate mixed with kanamycin is?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of those Duncans is close, but I have not seen it touch..... Can I snip off that arm or just leave it alone? Not sure what cyanoacrylate mixed with kanamycin is?

Super glue mixed with antibiotics. I've never heard of that before.

If it continues, I would cut away the infected tissue and reglue the frag.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would not snip anything as the tissue loss is minimal and you are not sure what caused it. It could easily heal on its own. I would only snip or try the cyanoacrylate (super glue) mixed with kanamycin (antibiotic, seachem kanaplex) if it starts spreading throughout the coral. That would be a better indication that it is rtn/stn which is bacterial in nature, however the causes are not always evident.

OP
OP
DarthSimon

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so your saying to watch the tissue loss, if it spreads up, I would just loose that branch, and frag it off.....

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super glue mixed with antibiotics. I've never heard of that before.

If it continues, I would cut away the infected tissue and reglue the frag.

Hey Flips,

Just thought I’d fill you in. I hadn’t heard of the cyanoacrylate mixed with kanamycin before either until I heard a talk by an aquatic veterinarian who told me that she did studies on stn/rtn and sometimes had success using that combo to stop the spread. Pretty clever imo. The snip has never worked for me. Even if the frags have survived the mothers haven’t. I think we both agree that neither is necessary at this point however.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so your saying to watch the tissue loss, if it spreads up, I would just loose that branch, and frag it off.....
Yes if it starts spreading snip it below the tissue loss and see if that stops it. If not you can try the cyanoacrylate/kanamycin or just frag it up and cross your fingers. Up to you

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Flips,

Just thought I’d fill you in. I hadn’t heard of the cyanoacrylate mixed with kanamycin before either until I heard a talk by an aquatic veterinarian who told me that she did studies on stn/rtn and sometimes had success using that combo to stop the spread. Pretty clever imo. The snip has never worked for me. Even if the frags have survived the mothers haven’t. I think we both agree that neither is necessary at this point however.

Interesting, but as we all know there is gram negative and gram positive strains of bacteria that can cause this. Hit or miss.

I do think it was the duncan.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, but as we all know there is gram negative and gram positive strains of bacteria that can cause this. Hit or miss.

I do think it was the duncan.
Of course, and snipping doesn't stop stn/rtn most of the time. It's just something to try, I never said it's 100% effective or anything. I also told him not to try unless it started spreading like stn/rtn and recommended clipping first.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, and snipping doesn't stop stn/rtn most of the time. It's just something to try, I never said it's 100% effective or anything.

I've had good results with cutting away the infected tissue before. Everyone's mileage may vary. :)

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you consider good results? 50%? Just curious. Literally never worked for me. I've had corals heal without clipping or doing anything though.

Around 100% success. Everyone's system is different and thus the bacterial strains will and do vary.

I've heard using iodine, bactrial meds, fragging.... Some work, some don't.

Fragging above the infection, discarding the infected tissue and skeleton (trying not to release infected tissue/slime into the water collum to prevent other corals from getting it. Oh and it can spread!) is key.

Sounds like it didn't work for you and it did for me. Doesn't mean anything. It's consistent with others experiences. Hit or miss.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back