Is this safe? Uneven support

Discussion in 'Tank Emergency' started by ReefSlice, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Reef Dude

Reef Dude Active Member

I ran into this exact same problem when I got my 50 gallon from them 2.5 years ago. The panes of glass weren’t squared up with each other and the bottom panel seemed out of plane. When sitting on a flat surface, only certain parts of the bottom would touch... I tried multiple flat surfaces with the same result.

That said, it is still holding water after a couple years. I went back and forth with Steve from SCA on this, and refused to get me a replacement tank. He kept telling me whatever he thought I wanted to hear, and he kept contradicting himself on whether or not these issues are a problem. I’ve never been comfortable with this tank, I got tired of always worrying about it, so I actually just ordered another custom tank from a different manufacturer so I can finally get the SCA tank out of my life. Not that this helps you out much, but I’m just sharing my similar experience with you.

MnFish1, JoshH and Mjrenz like this.

2. jtl

jtl Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with the levelness of the stand. This is an issue with either the flatness of the top or the bottom of the tank. If you take the mat out and inspect things you will find the problem. Regardless you don't want to leave those corners unsupported.

MnFish1 likes this.
  3. ReefSlice

ReefSlice Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Thanks for confirming what I thought. The thing is I had this tank on a diy stand and it was obviously off the stand on these corners, so I got a custom stand built, and now this... So if anything I'm almost certain it is the tank itself. The stand is perfectly square and flat. The fact that the sump is sitting flat pretty much confirms this.
    Man, this really sucks, I thought my tank was finally going up right :( this has me torn.

4. Mjrenz

Mjrenz Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

If it is the tank the only thing you can do to confirm it is drain the whole thing, turn it upside down, and use your level as straight edge to see if all the panes are flat and square to each other. If they aren't cut straight you could use shims to support the low spots or see if you can return it. With what reef dude said you may have a difficult time returning it. If you decide to shim it, the hard plastic shims that are made for toilets would probably work well

MnFish1 likes this.
  5. Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa

I use foam board from Lowe’s as it seems to compress very evenly

Skynyrd Fish and Mjrenz like this.
  6. Rjukan

Rjukan Day Dreamer R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 NJRC Member Build Thread Contributor

This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't worry about it at all. I would be more concerned with all corners touching but there being a space towards the middle which is where the weight is.

JoshH likes this.
  7. ReefSlice

My concern is that the gap actually goes in further than just the very corners onto the bottom pane, but is just covered up by the yoga mat, which I know is not the correct way to fix the problem.

8. PirateDan

PirateDan Active Member R2R Supporter

From what you’ve said and pictures you took it looks like it will be fine. Not trying to be a jerk but it’s kinda like you want somebody to tell you something is seriously wrong. If i was that worried I’d take her down.

9. PirateDan

PirateDan Active Member R2R Supporter

. Sorry about you’re SCA. My SCA50 is awesome!

10. ReefSlice

I definitely don't want to hear something terrible... But if something terrible needs to be said, I'd rather hear about it now instead of when there's 150 gallons of water on my floor.
    Basically what I'm looking for in this post is anyone with tanks that have been running for years that have the same issue. Because in my eyes, it looks like some obvious point pressure on the 2 corners that are bearing weight... Call me crazy, but just imagine 150 gallons spilling in a second story condo! If that is even a possibility then it needs to be corrected now versus later.

11. Mjrenz

Mjrenz Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

More than likely you will be fine, but even if it was prefect there is always a risk. Since you live in a condo just make sure you have insurance, some states and/or insurance companies will limit or exclude coverage for leaks from "water filled furniture." Your policy may require a special endorsement for coverage so make sure you're covered and enjoy your tank with that much peace of mind

12. Borsalino

Borsalino Member

Sorry for the bad English.
    A Stanley Fatmax is not 100% correct on sight.

I am a Carpenter and do after leveling the next.

I place first on the long sides on the front and back a wooden perfect parallel plank, 20 mm x 45 mm. There I look on from a distance and then the lines of the wooden planks perfectly parallel.

Then I do the same to the short sides left and right.

Do the same on your aluminium base.
    Do this 2 times.

[​IMG]

13. ReefSlice

The tank is level, it just is hardly touching on 2 corners. This is getting very confusing, it seems like everyone has a different answer for me and no one is quite positive. From what I've read, a rimless tank not touching the stand anywhere is a big no no, and especially when it's 2 opposite corners. I also know that, although it is popular thought, foam will NOT fix this gap, it just covers it up, the 2 corners are still not being supported by anything, they are merely floating just at the edge of the foam. It certainly seems like a problem to me, and it isn't fixed by shimming/adjusting feet. Not quite sure where to go from here. I guess I will be emptying everything from the tank and taking it all apart just to see what the problem here is. If it's the tank I'm gonna guess that I'm SOL on getting a real fix.
    Thanks for everyone trying to help.

14. MichaelE

MichaelE Active Member

Yeah, the only way to tell for sure is to flip it over and check.
    Sorry to tell you this but I wouldn’t risk having a tank filled with water where there’s possible warping and tension on the glass.
    So I would drain it and have a look, if nothing else for your peace of mind.

With that said even if there’s a problem and you decide to leave as is you’ll probably be fine. I’ve seen tanks in all manner of strange positions without them cracking.

nonstopfish likes this.
  15. Sod Buster

Sod Buster Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

How about a thicker mat that squishes more? Like the back saver mats they use in factories on concrete floors? You might be out of "squish" with that thin mat. If you are draining the tank, flip it on the stand to see if it mirrors your current corner problems. You should be worrying about when the battlebox is going to appear, not a flood. I saw that sticker on the sump.

16. jtl

jtl Well-Known Member

If the foam is thick enough I believe it does add support. It compresses more in the high spots and less in the low ones. Acts like a wedge of sorts only it covers the entire low area. At least that is how I view it. If you drain the tank and determine there are low spots on the bottom glass you could get creative and use some type of leveler product to get is perfectly flat. Water Putty is a cheap product that I have used for a variety of projects, it is sand able and paintable. Since it is one the bottom of the tank it will not be visible. No point in speculating about the cause. I could not live with this problem wondering if the tank was going to break. Not saying it would or will.

17. ReefSlice

Yeah I wish! I have 40 lbs of LR cured and ready to go, frags waiting to go in, etc... My girlfriend was really looking forward to picking out our first fish for QT this week. This build took over a year but it seems it isn't over yet.
    We're definitely on the same page here, just no way to know for sure if it will be a problem, but I can't sleep knowing it's like that. Guess I will be draining it and attempting to chisel my epoxied rockwork apart today :(

18. jtl

jtl Well-Known Member

Gotta start somewhere to resolve this and get on with your build. The good news is once you drain it and figure out the problem you can likely be on the road again in a couple of days.

19. Reef Dude

Reef Dude Active Member

It sucks, but I agree that getting the tank off the stand find out what the problem is will be a good start. It is good news if the problem is with bowing/warping of the top of the tank stand - this can easily be fixed.

If it is the tank, using thick foam worked for me because it was my last resort. I was faced with either leaving it unsupported in areas or using the foam mat which provided at least a little support although the support is probably uneven in areas. I know the foam padding is widely debated with strong opinions, but it seemed to work for me as a last resort. In my case, the tank did not sink down enough in rigid foam to close the gaps. A thin foam also did not work. I ended up putting my tank on two 1/4 thick yoga mats. I think of it like my tank sitting down in a mattress lol.

My tank did come with some air bubbles in the seams. This isn’t great, but it turned out to be ok because I can at least see if they are changing or growing as a result of the tank being improperly supported. In my case, using the thick foam, my tank is still holding water after 2.5 years, the seams do not looks stressed, and the air bubbles have not changed or grown.

20. Mical

Mical Well-Known Member

Very nice stand

ReefSlice likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted