Is this safe? Uneven support

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how this would ever be a problem especially if that's a levelling mat. There's always going to be an alarmist option. In this case, if you're bothered by it that much then tear down the entire tank, measure how even the glass is, and request a replacement if it's not to your standard. You can disprove that it has anything to do with the stand by removing not just emptying the tank and measuring how level the stand is.

Either way, if you're bothered by it enough to do something about it then you need to completely tear down the tank and see if you can prove it's the tank that's not even

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly what he is going to do wes with this pic. Unacceptable
Screenshot_20190317-193800_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
ReefSlice

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I don't mean to turn this into an argument here at all. I appreciate everyone's input greatly, and I need your guys help to get through this! Having said that, I just want to clear up some things to avoid confusion.
  • This has nothing to do with the tank or the stand being level. The gaps in the corners prove that something is not flat, and that the corners of the tank are not in coplanar position
  • Leveling mats do nothing to level, or make up for a surface which is not flat. They simply cushion the tank from very small imperfections, i.e sand or tiny bits of screw heads or splinters coming off of the stand
  • The way the tank is sitting now, 1500+ lbs of water, sand and glass could basically be crashing down on 2 tiny 1/2" glass corners (the majority of it anyway)
I absolutely intend to tear it all down after seeing this. However, I work 12 hour days outside in South Florida, and took a whole week off of work to get this thing up and going. I also have basically no help other than my 55 year old father who I am afraid to injure every time this thing is moved. All of this combined with the fact that this really just has me bummed out, and it's going to be a bit before I can muster up going further. Again, I really appreciate all the help everyone, just trying to keep everyone informed so I can get to the bottom of this without so much confusion.

OP
OP
ReefSlice

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been super busy, but I did find a few hours to get the tank completely emptied, had to chisel my rockwork apart and scoop out sand by hand for a few hours. This is what it looks like empty on the worst corner. Not even touching for a few inches at least, and you can tell looking down through the bottom that it isn't touching the foam on the bottom panel, while the low corner is compressed.
IMG_20190402_154305.jpg

Not sure where I will go from here... Basically looks like I need a new tank.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deleted.

Last edited:

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what would happen if you remove the yoga mat...

What if the yoga mat (which wasn't made for this purpose) is not a consistent compression material... like if the other side is less dense which is allowing the weight of the tank to compress there, which in turn is lifting the bad side. I know it's a pain, but it would be interesting to see the tank on just the stand which you said has been proven to be perfectly level..

OP
OP
ReefSlice

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yoga mat is not lifting the tank, it smashes very easily, and does under the lower corners. I can even measure the tank and the 2 low corners are longer. Yoga mat, no yoga mat, any flat surface, this gap is here. Those 2 pieces of glass are exactly even (only 2 corners are) but the gap goes back under the bottom pane. Hard to see but you can see light under the glass a few inches back and then see the tank compressing more as it moves towards the back corner. That side panel is straight, so something is holding it up as well as that whole corner.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt mean "lifting the tank" rather that due to the inconsistent material if you had one side that was softer than the middle, that one side would be compressing the mat while the other side would have a gap. I don't want to annoy you as I'm sure this issue is making you crazy (I would be if I was dealing with it), I was just trying to offer an idea on a solution.

At any rate when you take the tank off the stand to return it or whatever, maybe you could put it on a smooth floor or table and see if it's the same there.

OP
OP
ReefSlice

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually did have it on another stand and had these gaps so I bought the aluminum stand. Still there sadly. It's actually opposite corners compressing more, so the yoga mat is just going with the shape of the messed up tank. Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated, don't think there's much to do unless I want to grind down the stand under the low corners which seems kind of ridiculous considering how much I've spent on the project.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doh, that stinks. Yeah I guess the answer is a new tank. Sorry RS, wish I was closer as I would be happy to help out moving it around. Good luck going forward, I hope things go smoothly for you next time.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d add a second mat that was just under the bottom pane and not the front and back panes. Front and back panels would float and all the load would be spread evenly across the bottom pane.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deleted.

Last edited:

PicassoDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try putting a straight-edge on the bottom panel of the tank in different directions? I'm guessing you'll need a worst-case flatness measurement like this to try to get a replacement tank. Plus I'm curious...

OP
OP
ReefSlice

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try putting a straight-edge on the bottom panel of the tank in different directions? I'm guessing you'll need a worst-case flatness measurement like this to try to get a replacement tank. Plus I'm curious...
The bottom pane on the inside of the tank actually seems flat and level, which is a little comforting but concerning at the same time because the tank definitely isn't perfectly straight going towards the front right corner. I also noticed that now with the tank empty the gap on the front pane goes pretty far along the front of the tank. And I can see light through the bottom panel of glass under the gap, so the edge of the bottom panel isn't making contact.
IMG_20190403_100735.jpg
This is about 20 inches in from the corner, and you can see the gap under the tank.
IMG_20190403_100703.jpg

OP
OP
ReefSlice

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to see, but you can tell here that the bottom pane isn't sitting 100% flat. The first pic is the front right corner, and the yoga mat is not even being pressed down. The second picture is the back right corner, and the yoga mat is pretty flattened. I can't even get a piece of paper under the back right corner, but you can obviously see this gap on the front right corner. Was any ones tank this far off?
IMG_20190404_180120.jpg

IMG_20190404_204319.jpg
IMG_20190404_180300.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From what you’ve said and pictures you took it looks like it will be fine. Not trying to be a jerk but it’s kinda like you want somebody to tell you something is seriously wrong. If i was that worried I’d take her down.
I can't see any pictures.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tank is level, it just is hardly touching on 2 corners. This is getting very confusing, it seems like everyone has a different answer for me and no one is quite positive. From what I've read, a rimless tank not touching the stand anywhere is a big no no, and especially when it's 2 opposite corners. I also know that, although it is popular thought, foam will NOT fix this gap, it just covers it up, the 2 corners are still not being supported by anything, they are merely floating just at the edge of the foam. It certainly seems like a problem to me, and it isn't fixed by shimming/adjusting feet. Not quite sure where to go from here. I guess I will be emptying everything from the tank and taking it all apart just to see what the problem here is. If it's the tank I'm gonna guess that I'm SOL on getting a real fix.
Thanks for everyone trying to help.
Sorry - I see the pictures now. You can keep a tank just fine (supposedly - with multiple opinions on both sides - especially if rimmed) with support ONLY on the corners. Were it me and a new tank - I would return it - no question.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTW - the thing is - the glass looks like its even with the bottom of the tank. Are the measurements top to bottom on each side - in the front (ie the height of the glass) equal?? IE - you're right - its not even - but - the glass at least in the picture looks like the glass is even with the bottom of the glass - so what would the potential causes (in your mind) be - for me I'm sorry - its hard to tell from the pictures.

OP
OP
ReefSlice

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few more pictures of where all corners finally rest with the tank empty a few days and how I can slide a piece of paper under the front right corner. Going to attempt to slide the tank over a bit so I can put a straight edge along the front and back corners of one side of the tank at least, just to see how far off they are. And the lifted corners are 1/8" higher from the bottom of the stand to the lip of the tank compared to the corners compressed in the foam. Appreciate the help again.
20190407_140703.jpg
20190407_140840.jpg
20190407_140902.jpg
20190407_140921.jpg
20190407_140946.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back