Gyre placement help

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a gyre and am wondering if I should move it to the back glass. I want to have the tank viewable from the front and right glass, so I had originally had it horizontal at the top of the left glass. I was thinking of placing it vertically on the left side of the back glass, or maybe horizontally under the overflow. Main concern is water not really being pushed to the overflow. Tank is 24x24x18 and is about 1 month old. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Right glass
IMG_3294.jpeg

Front glass
IMG_3295.jpeg

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Every tank is different with return flow, aquascape. You may have to play around with it to remove any dead zones, if you start to notice any buildup on the sand. But also if your going to put corals in there as they grow it will change the flow patterns in the tank. It will be a experiment and adjustment til you find what works for your tank.

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have exactly the same dimensions but over flow at the right not in the center.
but I noticed if I put the pump on the back wall 2inch from the top and I shoot in the middle/top of the front glass (tilt down, not up) there is a counter-current that forms on the surface.

The blanket of water split in 2 ... one go down the rest go up and head back to the back wall

Last edited:

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whit your overflow in centre. You will probably need to put pump under and shoot tilt up... esthetically, you are the judge.

Or

Where it is shoot tilt down, maybe the back draft will "feed" in the overflow.

Have fun and take your time, flow pattern need time to establish.
:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I also need to stop the gyre 2-3 min. 2x day to completely wash the surface.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently installed a Red Sea Reef Wave 25 on my 40GB, initially had it on right side of glass,,but even at 90% it barely reached the left side of tank, flow wise.

I then moved it to back glass with much better flow, but still, not impressed with it, so I installed one of the original ZKSJ Slim Pro wavemakers that I put just below the Reef Wave, pointed up and to the right a tad.

The Gyre has 1 side all the way up for surface movement, and the other side pointed at the Live Rock.

It's pretty good flow, but way less than what I had with 2 ZKSJ Slim Pros and Sicce Nanos.

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did t want to start a whole new thread, so I am going to ask this here. I am going through a round of new tank uglies, but it is on the rocks and only on the sand, where I think, has less flow. This tank will be all, or mostly sps, should I get a few small power heads to point across the back bottom part of the rock work, and maybe another to point into the channel between the 2 rock islands?
IMG_3364.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back