Is this snail good or bad?

SC1000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mysterious snail has appeared in my tank. Is it a good snail (coral friendly ?) or not?
Can someone identify it?
thanks

OP
OP
SC1000

SC1000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is the photo

image.jpg

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a stomatella (amazing CUC, good to have), but they typically aren't black like that... Maybe some others can chime in?
God bless!

OP
OP
SC1000

SC1000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to know ! Now I have another question. My tank has velvet which has unfortunately wiped out all my fish except for the six line wrasse and this new creature ‘Stomatella’. I presume the wrasse will soon die. My plan was to wait 75 days with no fish, as to get read of this disease, but can the Stomatella stay in the tank? Or will It continue the cycle of this parasites?

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will only live if fish are in the tank the wrasse maybe OK they have thick slime coats is it showing signs of velvet

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Her is a link to the proper treatment of velvet good luck it's devastating when it happens

OP
OP
SC1000

SC1000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will only live if fish are in the tank the wrasse maybe OK they have thick slime coats is it showing signs of velvet
No sign of velvet on the wrasse. He strangely jumped out of the tank a few days ago. I got him back in and he is absolutely fine. But could he be a Carrier? Not sure what to do...

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do that often you need good lid for wrasses read the article I posted regarding velvet yes he could be a carrier and keep the cycle of the velvet alive is it definatly velvet or very bad ich I had the same thing a while ago I believed velvet at first but now I think very bad case of ich I have gone the management route rather than the eradication as I have so many tanks not enough room for a quarantine tank it’s working for me but I won’t advise it to anyone else or I will get shot in this forum .

OP
OP
SC1000

SC1000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Her is a link to the proper treatment of velvet good luck it's devastating when it happens
Thanks for the article. It is definitely a case of Velvet. Still in two minds wether to give the wrasse a chemical bath, but a bit conecerned in using carcinogenic products, or wait to see what happens to the wrasse..I’ll think it over tonight.

Back