Is this stocking fine for a 40 gallon breeder?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gray999
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Gray999

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 11, 2026
Messages
42
Reaction score
10
Location
oregon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this stocking fine for a 40 breeder?
2 clowns (currently have 1)
Tiger watchman goby (Currently have)
Cardinal fish (Currently have)
Orange tailed Fiji puffer (Currently have)
Flame Hawkfish (Not owned)
Fire fish (not owned)

all the fish I own are probably under a inch besides the goby
 
If I were you, I'd stop the stocking with what you currently have. clowns can exceed 3 inches each as adults, tiger watchman goby 5 inches, and the puffer 4 inches or so, plus the cardinal. That's already more than enough fish for a 40 gal. If your plan is to "get a bigger tank later", just get the bigger tank before you add more fish to the mix. Hope that helps.
 
If I were you, I'd stop the stocking with what you currently have. clowns can exceed 3 inches each as adults, tiger watchman goby 5 inches, and the puffer 4 inches or so, plus the cardinal. That's already more than enough fish for a 40 gal. If your plan is to "get a bigger tank later", just get the bigger tank before you add more fish to the mix. Hope that helps.
fair enough, I really did want that hawkfish though, I also do have some corals so I don't want to increase the bioload too much
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 35.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 15.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new