Is this test kit any good?

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey people, was thinking about buying this test kit to start my reef and was wondering if it was any good, used the *insert not nice word* API ones and don't want them, so how about these and ill buy the rest omce cycled
Screenshot_20220123-135209_Amazon Shopping.jpg

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea test kits aren't bad at all, but unless your tank is brand new, you might save some money getting a kit for just alk, nitrates and phosphates and pH as nitrites and ammonia aren't usually present in mature tanks unless there are serious problems.
Oh if I had ammonia in my tank I'd be very scared, but my tank is just gonna get wet hopefully tommorow, so I figured this and dr. Tims fish less cycle kit would be all I need besides the equipment

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey people, was thinking about buying this test kit to start my reef and was wondering if it was any good, used the *insert not nice word* API ones and don't want them, so how about these and ill buy the rest omce cycled
Screenshot_20220123-135209_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Its ok- not the most user friendly as there are often uncertainties with colors

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be sufficient. Personally I prefer Aquaforest/Salifert, but Red Sea is a popular and well known brand and all hobby grade test kits have pros and cons (and, as you said, it's not ATI).
For convenience sake, long term I would recommend a Hannah alkalinity tester, but there's nothing wrong with not using one.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea test kits aren't bad at all, but unless your tank is brand new, you might save some money getting a kit for just alk, nitrates and phosphates and pH as nitrites and ammonia aren't usually present in mature tanks unless there are serious problems.
Getting just those will cost more than this one kit. at least here in Australia.

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be sufficient. Personally I prefer Aquaforest/Salifert, but Red Sea is a popular and well known brand and all hobby grade test kits have pros and cons (and, as you said, it's not ATI).
For convenience sake, long term I would recommend a Hannah alkalinity tester, but there's nothing wrong with not using one.
I plan when I have a bit more money, and when i need it, to purchase a few hanna checkers, and saliferts master kit

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lfs = local fish store.

Maybe makes sense if add local fish store Instead of lfs.
But all Peter is saying Is that a lfs employee sold him a test kit he didn't need so won't get advice from them no more.

That's how I took it anyway

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lfs = local fish store.

Maybe makes sense if add local fish store Instead of lfs.
But all Peter is saying Is that a lfs employee sold him a test kit he didn't need so won't get advice from them no more.

That's how I took it anyway
Yes as a first kit I was sold a Foundation test kit for a tank containing corals to test ALK, Calcium and Magnesium.
Where I only needed the basics kit of Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, PH, ALK

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back