Is this the state of captive bred marine fish?

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These three fish are all captive bred. I'd say they're very comparable to their wild caught counterparts.

IMG_0046[1].JPG IMG_0048[1].JPG IMG_0051[1].JPG

The blue tang and the angel look great, but the CB yellow tangs never look right to me. Same with flame angels, Pygmy angels etc. I’m not against CB at all, just my opinion

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in this hobby for 15 years and have seen 1000's upon 1000's of reef fish over the years. This is the most ridiculous statement I've ever read regarding captive bread fish. Including the exception listed.

Dude you don’t have to be rude. It’s just an opinion. One people may think CB look better. I love CB and aquaculture, I think it’s great for our hobby. But to me SOME species look better as wild caught. Again, just an opinion. Not disrespect meant at all

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue tang and the angel look great, but the CB yellow tangs never look right to me. Same with flame angels, Pygmy angels etc. I’m not against CB at all, just my opinion
The captive bred yellow tangs all seem to have what appears to be lateral line erosion above their eyes. Sometimes they can appear to be washed out although mine has a pretty vibrant yellow color. I have a CB Coral Beauty in my 50 gallon anemone tank. It's probably the prettiest CB I've ever seen. As time goes on, they'll get better and better at rearing these fish.

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The captive bred yellow tangs all seem to have what appears to be lateral line erosion above their eyes. Sometimes they can appear to be washed out although mine has a pretty vibrant yellow color. I have a CB Coral Beauty in my 50 gallon anemone tank. It's probably the prettiest CB I've ever seen. As time goes on, they'll get better and better at rearing these fish.

I agree with that. That is the same thing I’ve noticed with the yellows I’ve seen. I used to have a captive bred CB and it was indeed a gorgeous fish

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point I was making is there are lots of groups out there that would consider your point of view cruel. Since you are keeping any animal in a glass box. I know this might not sit well with you since you view your method as somewhat righteous at least to my reading. I was only pointing out that many people think you’re being cruel for keeping an aquarium at all. I’ll respond to your other post a bit later

I bet they all have dogs or cats! Once upon a time that would have been thought cruel too.
What about horses, etc? Everything was wild, once.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back