Is this the ugly stage?

SaltySmith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I posted earlier in the week about the algae growth on my rock, but its now starting on the sand and I was able to get a picture with the light off. The tank is 2 months old, finished cycling at the 4-5th week mark, had fish in it for 3 weeks, and all of a sudden had a ton of algae growth. My water tests are looking great, doing weekly water changes. So my question is, is this the ugly stage that people talk about? and can this happen after a cycle?

Thank you for your help!

unnamed (1).jpg

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like it is the start of the ugly stage to me. and yes it happens after the tank has cycled. be ready it can get alot worse

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The begining of the FIRST ugly stage.....many more to come for several months....get ready
Isn't that the truth. OP buckle up buttercup because the first year is an on off battle of various ugly stages. Do your research so you know what algae to expect. Weekly water changes, constant focus on parameters. Add stuff to build biodiversity and microfauna in your tank like pods and phytoplankton.

OP
OP
S

SaltySmith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhhhh sounds good. Funny enough, this is reassuring. wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhhhh sounds good. Funny enough, this is reassuring. wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong!
In my opinion it is best to leave lights off the first 4 months. Fish don't need them. This allows your tank to develop biodiversity and microfauna so when you turn lights on and add coral your ugly stages become much more manageable.

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion it is best to leave lights off the first 4 months. Fish don't need them. This allows your tank to develop biodiversity and microfauna so when you turn lights on and add coral your ugly stages become much more manageable.
thats what I was told to do from WWC when I bought my tank.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I try this product? Phosguard

I would start Phosguard at the 3 to 4 month mark. You are in the early cycle stages, and you are in the 1st easy beginning ugly phase. What you have now is nothing to worry about. Get to phase 2 then add Phosguard to help alleviate a more heavy algae/ugly phase.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Definitely not. When using only dry rock, you will likely experience a deficiency in phosphate until the rock reaches equilibrium, which can take a long time. This is bad, as it welcomes dinoflagellates. You will likely need to dose it rather than remove. If you have diatoms, consider yourself lucky. If anything, it will help provide food to build up your pod population, as I would assume you don’t have much detritus in the tank yet.

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Try to hold off on adding any chemicals to the tank. I did that, and it just meant 1 ugly died off and another took its place. The only thing i would suggest adding is copepods. It just takes time. Stay on top of your maintance, monitor your feedings, and balance will come.

Falc!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use microbactor 7 and mictobactor clean during first 6 months....helps keep it manageable .....and a toothbrush will be ur best friend to scrub rocks

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back