Is this too much filtration? Am I overthinking this?

Chief2112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have a 36 gallon. Goal is to have a mixed reef tank. Several fish and softie/LPS corals.
Is running an internal filter like the Tunze 3162 in addition to a canister filter too much?

I plan on doing a nsa aquascape so I’m just wondering if having more space for biomedia will help make up for less lbs of rock or am I overthinking this and just one filter will be fine?

OP
OP
Chief2112

Chief2112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not too familiar with canister filters or that tunze product, but dont they basically do the same thing?
That’s the whole point of my post. Two filters with more media options for a aquascape that doesn’t meet 1 lb per 1 gallon. Wondering if it’s okay or too much.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of those big Ehiem canister filters on sale, ‘just to have’ (because I have never owned one before.) I decided to put it on my 20 gallon observation tank just to keep some live rock going at all times. I was amazed with what you can pack one of those things with… Including some cut up sponge, filter pads, etc., and the flow is quite powerful. I know my tank is empty, and yours will have a bioload and fish food and waste, but I could see one of them handling your 36 gallon tank if it a large enough canister. Just my 2-cents. Best wishes! :)

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could start with the canister, and if needed later on, buy the tunze. Either way, you will need to stay on top of WCs and cleaning mechanical filtration to make sure everything is in check.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back