Is this took much algea

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if this isn’t to much I still want to get rid of it, I am thinking of tanking the fish out and doing an extreme clean on the glass and the sandbed, I am hoping to buy new rocks but I thought it would just grow back straight away so I don’t want to do that, I only currently have tests for alk, calc, salinity and temp. Alk is 10 and calc is 400 salon is 1.026 and temp 26, all corals seem to be doing good other than my hammer, I can’t see any algae growing on it but it just won’t open, the tank is only 5 month old and many people say that there all types of algae in the first year, so I guess my questions are; How do I get rid of it ? Is this too much ( do I need to act straight away) ? What type of algae is it ? Is it worth getting new rocks ? Is it worth doing a deep clean ?
Thank You

IMG_6714.jpeg IMG_6713.jpeg

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need to test on your other nutrients, nitrate and phosphate. What are your CUC?

Hair algae on the rocks and the glass will probably need to be hand cleaned out before they'll get it under control.
I only have 1 hermit and 1 snail I don’t know what it is, if I hand clean it of it normally grows back to the same extent within 2 weeks, is that normal ?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 1 hermit and 1 snail I don’t know what it is, if I hand clean it of it normally grows back to the same extent within 2 weeks, is that normal ?
yes … heck almost any tank is funky after 2weeks lol
Also check your alkalinity…as I’m not seeing a lot of pink/purple coralline coverage

edit add: that powerhead look’s lonely…also I have that Sicce, it hates starting and stopping ..maybe cop a cheapo Amazon Jaebo or sumthin

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes … heck almost any tank is funky after 2weeks lol
Also check your alkalinity…as I’m not seeing a lot of pink/purple coralline coverage
All has been stable for the past several weeks, but I’ve never had any coraline algae

MildHeartAttack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, ULR checker. Urchins are great, snails too. I tend to stay away from crabs. I get a mixed bag killing snails. Some are just turds.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All has been stable for the past several weeks, but I’ve never had any coraline algae

you should be seeing pink specks by now; oddly coralline algae prefers powerheads, check there first
Would the salifert testers be good ?
yup, Salifert works only thing is the precision for phosphate is waaaaay easier with the digital Hanna
…and for Alkalinity Salifert is a good choice, many go with the Hanna “Blue” Alk DKH …just because of the sheer number of time Alk is tested and the convenience

edit add: if someone comes in and says your light. is too white or it’s the white color causing algae, just ignore

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should be seeing pink specks by now; oddly coralline algae prefers powerheads, check there first

yup, Salifert works only thing is the precision for phosphate is waaaaay easier with the digital Hanna
…and for Alkalinity Salifert is a good choice, many go with the Hanna “Blue” Alk DKH …just because of the sheer number of time Alk is tested and the convenience
I have got the phosphate and nitrate testers on the way,

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
95% of surface area is nuisance algae. So yeah, I'd consider a major intervention.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also up your cleanup crew. That size tank maybe start out with probably 5 hermits, 10-20 snails.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from checking the parameters mentioned above. You need a much larger CUC to help control algae in the future. Probably about a dozen assorted snails and 6 or 8 hermit crabs to start.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, do not replace your rock with new rock unless it is ocean live rock ( which I highly recommend), you will lose your biological filtration and start a new cycle. Your tank is in need of more rock for biological filtration and again I strongly suggest live rock. You need to bump up your cuc, as recommended urchins are fantastic, in addition a few turbo snails, trochus and cerith snails. I would also suggest a couple of emerald crabs, they don’t seem to sleep and just eat algae off the rocks. Even with the new cuc you will need to manually remove and keep the gha short in order for your cuc to mow it down. The most important thing is getting your nutrient export increased. Increased frequency and amount of water changes. Protein skimmer will also help. You shouldn’t be feeding much with two fish but cut back to half. Most important remember, the first year is called the ugly stage for a reason and you are not alone.

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from checking the parameters mentioned above. You need a much larger CUC to help control algae in the future. Probably about a dozen assorted snails and 6 or 8 hermit crabs to start.
What are the best types of snails to get ?

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the best types of snails to get ?
I don't know if there's a "best", but I have fighting conchs and nassarius snails that focus primarily on the sand bed and trochus, margarita, astrea, cerith snails for the glass and rockwork. I also have a bunch of red legged hermit crabs that spend most of their time on the rocks. One of them recently moved into an astrea snail shell. Not sure if the crab killed it, or if it was dead already before snacking and moving in.

They don't remove 100% of the algae, but I wouldn't say that the growth I do have is unsightly or unmanageable.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out reefcleaners. They do a good job of giving a good variety of types per tank size, here is for 25 gallons:

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out reefcleaners. They do a good job of giving a good variety of types per tank size, here is for 25 gallons:
OP is in the UK. Reefcleaners won't be a good source for livestock, but maybe good for info on what to buy.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP is in the UK. Reefcleaners won't be a good source for livestock, but maybe good for info on what to buy.
Well. That's my bad, truth on not good for ordering from, but a good reference :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Thanks @JayM

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back