Is this two wrasse's courting or an imminent death about to happen?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Dogtown, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Dogtown

Dogtown Active Member

I'm a little worried. I'm thinking that one of these females is becoming dominant and will transition to become a male. The one being beat up is staying in the corner and yesterday it stayed in hiding all day. Do I need to add a few more females? Something else maybe?

Tags:

2. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Jack of All Trades, Masters in One R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

That appears to be aggression from my viewpoint

MMacro likes this.
  3. reef lover

reef lover Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Yup and your going to have to separate them...maybe trade one to a LFS....

4. Dogtown

Dogtown Active Member

Can you safely keep two female bipartitus wrasses together in the same tank? I realize that one will eventually turn male but is a harem required?

5. Dogtown

Dogtown Active Member

I can put one in the refugium as a short term solution. Would a harem be the long term solution? Both of these blue stars are healthy and eating well. I'd rather QT a couple more if that will work just as well. Anyone know?

6. reef lover

reef lover Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

From what I understand of wrasses we can't recreate the harem in the home aquarium...both that u have are probably already male and all that u add will eventually turn as well...@eatbreakfast and @evolved will know more about this particular species

Dogtown likes this.
  7. Best Fish-Jake

Best Fish-Jake Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

What size tank is this? I've never seen a successful harem of any kind of wrasse kept long term in captivity. Usually you can get away with having 2 females/ 1 less aggressive male and 1 female but that too doesn't always work out. I agree with the above and would also rehome one of the leopards.

Dogtown likes this.
  8. Dogtown

Dogtown Active Member

Its a 110 gal shallow wide rimless.

9. Flippers4pups

Flippers4pups Fins up since 1993 R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

It would be advisable to re-home one.

Dogtown likes this.
  10. Dogtown

Dogtown Active Member

Any chance I can get a more detailed response? I made the title simple to get attention but this isn't my first merry go around. Looking for a solution that will allow multiple blue stars to co-exist (if this is possible).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  11. Dogtown

Dogtown Active Member

Thanks, this is definitely helpful insight. I really need to understand this process in the home aquarium and what has worked for others (if that's even the case).

12. KJ

KJ Road Warrior R2R Supporter ETRC Member Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award

13. reef lover

Why wouldn't it tag him for me?? Lol

14. rockstarta78

rockstarta78 Well-Known Member

In home aquaria most wrasse harem won't work. The females will eventually turn to male or sub-alpha male. This would cause aggression. If I were you, I'd trade one and get a different type of wrasse.

Dogtown likes this.
  15. saltyhog

saltyhog Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018

Of all the genera, Macropharyngodon is the one that often doesn't necessarily transition to male in our tanks and sometimes groups of females can be kept. Whether this behavior is significant enough to require rehoming one of the two I'll defer to @eatbreakfast . I don't think it's impossible though.

eatbreakfast likes this.
  16. Dogtown

Dogtown Active Member

It sounds like @eatbreakfast is the guru. I'm definitely looking forward to his/her comments.

According to Liveaquaria, they do best in groups of three or more in the home aquarium. So I'm fine with getting one or two more if that is the case. Just want to make sure I'm on the right track here. Anyone else been successfully keeping these? How many do you/did you have?

17. Dogtown

Dogtown Active Member

Thanks Saltyhog!

18. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

I agree with Saltyhog. Of the various reef safe wrasses leopard wrasses can do well in a harem in captivity, as they are more reluctant to transition into males.

In this instance, I would recommend rehoming the aggressive one, and adding at least a trio of females to try a harem.

Dogtown and KJ like this.
  19. Dogtown

Dogtown Active Member

I appreciate the advice. I hadn’t even considered removing the aggressive one. Was going to go after the one being picked on because I was thinking i might be able to get that one.

Do you or anybody else have any suggestions on a good way to capture the aggressive one without tearing apart the tank?

20. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

A fish trap with a mirror in the back will get the dominant wrasse's attention.

Dogtown likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted