Is this two wrasse's courting or an imminent death about to happen?

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little worried. I'm thinking that one of these females is becoming dominant and will transition to become a male. The one being beat up is staying in the corner and yesterday it stayed in hiding all day. Do I need to add a few more females? Something else maybe?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That appears to be aggression from my viewpoint

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup and your going to have to separate them...maybe trade one to a LFS....

OP
OP
Dogtown

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you safely keep two female bipartitus wrasses together in the same tank? I realize that one will eventually turn male but is a harem required?

OP
OP
Dogtown

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can put one in the refugium as a short term solution. Would a harem be the long term solution? Both of these blue stars are healthy and eating well. I'd rather QT a couple more if that will work just as well. Anyone know?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand of wrasses we can't recreate the harem in the home aquarium...both that u have are probably already male and all that u add will eventually turn as well...@eatbreakfast and @evolved will know more about this particular species

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can put one in the refugium as a short term solution. Would a harem be the long term solution? Both of these blue stars are healthy and eating well. I'd rather QT a couple more if that will work just as well. Anyone know?
What size tank is this? I've never seen a successful harem of any kind of wrasse kept long term in captivity. Usually you can get away with having 2 females/ 1 less aggressive male and 1 female but that too doesn't always work out. I agree with the above and would also rehome one of the leopards.

OP
OP
Dogtown

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance I can get a more detailed response? I made the title simple to get attention but this isn't my first merry go around. Looking for a solution that will allow multiple blue stars to co-exist (if this is possible).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dogtown

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand of wrasses we can't recreate the harem in the home aquarium...both that u have are probably already male and all that u add will eventually turn as well...@eatbreakfast and @evolved will know more about this particular species

Thanks, this is definitely helpful insight. I really need to understand this process in the home aquarium and what has worked for others (if that's even the case).

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In home aquaria most wrasse harem won't work. The females will eventually turn to male or sub-alpha male. This would cause aggression. If I were you, I'd trade one and get a different type of wrasse.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of all the genera, Macropharyngodon is the one that often doesn't necessarily transition to male in our tanks and sometimes groups of females can be kept. Whether this behavior is significant enough to require rehoming one of the two I'll defer to @eatbreakfast . I don't think it's impossible though.

OP
OP
Dogtown

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like @eatbreakfast is the guru. I'm definitely looking forward to his/her comments.

According to Liveaquaria, they do best in groups of three or more in the home aquarium. So I'm fine with getting one or two more if that is the case. Just want to make sure I'm on the right track here. Anyone else been successfully keeping these? How many do you/did you have?

OP
OP
Dogtown

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of all the genera, Macropharyngodon is the one that often doesn't necessarily transition to male in our tanks and sometimes groups of females can be kept. Whether this behavior is significant enough to require rehoming one of the two I'll defer to @eatbreakfast . I don't think it's impossible though.

Thanks Saltyhog!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Saltyhog. Of the various reef safe wrasses leopard wrasses can do well in a harem in captivity, as they are more reluctant to transition into males.

In this instance, I would recommend rehoming the aggressive one, and adding at least a trio of females to try a harem.

OP
OP
Dogtown

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Saltyhog. Of the various reef safe wrasses leopard wrasses can do well in a harem in captivity, as they are more reluctant to transition into males.

In this instance, I would recommend rehoming the aggressive one, and adding at least a trio of females to try a harem.

I appreciate the advice. I hadn’t even considered removing the aggressive one. Was going to go after the one being picked on because I was thinking i might be able to get that one.

Do you or anybody else have any suggestions on a good way to capture the aggressive one without tearing apart the tank?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the advice. I hadn’t even considered removing the aggressive one. Was going to go after the one being picked on because I was thinking i might be able to get that one.

Do you or anybody else have any suggestions on a good way to capture the aggressive one without tearing apart the tank?
A fish trap with a mirror in the back will get the dominant wrasse's attention.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back