Is this Uronema on my Green Chromis?

SkyAquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got 4 green Chromis and a Yellowtail blue damsel. I put them in my invert QT for a week until I get my Fish QT ready to house life. I noticed on 3 of my green Chromis red sores that appear to be Uronema. Medicine is coming in this week but since the sores have appeared I’ve heard they are untreatable at this point. I have only had them for 24 hours so here are my questions.
Is this in fact Uronema?
Should I take them back to my LFS since there is nothing I can do? Alternatively can I do anything at this point?
Has the Uronema had enough time to get into my QT and cause damage to future fish?
Will the other Chromis and Yellowtail blue damsel be okay if I start treatment in a few days using Seachem Metroplex and focus?

Thank you for the help in advance!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema is tough to diagnose 100% without a microscope, but given the way it looks and the species involved, I would say it is. You can call the store, but it really isn’t their fault, green chromis cone in with this issue.
Jay

OP
OP
SkyAquatic

SkyAquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for confirming. I called the store just to check since it’s only been 24 hours. They have a 3 day sickness and death policy so they said to bring them back. Although I do understand completely it’s not their fault and comes with the species. I appreciate your help!

OP
OP
SkyAquatic

SkyAquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have any anemones in the tank or corals that might have stung the fish, then I would say yes.
Yes nothing else is in the tank. I thought maybe damage at first as well. But since the other inhabitants are not being aggressive and there’s no corals to sting them I went with Uronema. Thank you for the help!

Tomorrow's Waters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for confirming. I called the store just to check since it’s only been 24 hours. They have a 3 day sickness and death policy so they said to bring them back. Although I do understand completely it’s not their fault and comes with the species. I appreciate your help!

Glad the store is helping you out, but please note... Uronema is a disease that once in the aquarium, should be assumed to remain in the system indefinitely.

OP
OP
SkyAquatic

SkyAquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad the store is helping you out, but please note... Uronema is a disease that once in the aquarium, should be assumed to remain in the system indefinitely.
Thank you for the tip. I’ll remember that. Is there anything I can dose in the QT tank to avoid having issues with my future corals? I am doing a separate fish QT so my main concern would be corals and inverts.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for the tip. I’ll remember that. Is there anything I can dose in the QT tank to avoid having issues with my future corals? I am doing a separate fish QT so my main concern would be corals and inverts.
Uronema is an opportunistic pathogen often destroying cells of a given fish and often triggered by hyosalinity and poor water quality and does NOT last indefinetly.
Prevention is often on the aquarist maintaining good water quality and selecting healthy stock at an LFS assuring no blemishes, normal breathing and eating - ask to see fish eat
Sometimes, preventative measures cause more harm than good such as pre-treatments, baths, etc.

OP
OP
SkyAquatic

SkyAquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema is an opportunistic pathogen often destroying cells of a given fish and often triggered by hyosalinity and poor water quality and does NOT last indefinetly.
Prevention is often on the aquarist maintaining good water quality and selecting healthy stock at an LFS assuring no blemishes, normal breathing and eating - ask to see fish eat
Sometimes, preventative measures cause more harm than good such as pre-treatments, baths, etc.
Thank you for the information. I took a water sample to the L FS, as well as tested at myself and my water quality looks good. My salinity is at 1.026 which the LFS said was good. I’ll make sure to keep water quality up and try not to over prevent. I appreciate your tips!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema's "day job" is as a free living protozoan that feeds on bacteria. It can be found in most mature aquariums. However, it does not cause this internal disease except in newly acquired fish, I don't know why that is, but in my years, I've never had a long term captive (more than a few months) show up with Uronema.....

Jay

OP
OP
SkyAquatic

SkyAquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema's "day job" is as a free living protozoan that feeds on bacteria. It can be found in most mature aquariums. However, it does not cause this internal disease except in newly acquired fish, I don't know why that is, but in my years, I've never had a long term captive (more than a few months) show up with Uronema.....

Jay
That’s reassuring and makes sense. I’ll keep that in mind. Thank you so much for your help!

Charlie G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I just came across this thread as my chromis which I just received yesterday from Dr. Reef died. I believe this may be uronema as well. I am concerned about my other fish. I did also receive a captive bread yellow tang and an orange spotted goby with this shipment.

My longer term inhabitants are 2 clowns and a Royal gramma.

Not sure if anyone will see this thread but if you do wondering if you can help.

Does this look like uronema?
Will this affect my other fish or coral?
Is there anything I should be doing to protect them?

Attachments

• 3D4D3658-CB0A-44EC-BD7D-2FA7E7617286.jpeg
    3D4D3658-CB0A-44EC-BD7D-2FA7E7617286.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 5304E0D6-F0C4-4471-9260-0C920A5CF50F.jpeg
    5304E0D6-F0C4-4471-9260-0C920A5CF50F.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 68

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I just came across this thread as my chromis which I just received yesterday from Dr. Reef died. I believe this may be uronema as well. I am concerned about my other fish. I did also receive a captive bread yellow tang and an orange spotted goby with this shipment.

My longer term inhabitants are 2 clowns and a Royal gramma.

Not sure if anyone will see this thread but if you do wondering if you can help.

Does this look like uronema?
Will this affect my other fish or coral?
Is there anything I should be doing to protect them?
It could be Uronema but could also be shipping trauma. Their pre quarantine method helps to limit Uronema in their fish after you get them (because it shows up in their tanks not yours). There is little to no risk for this spreading to your other fish.
Jay

Charlie G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be Uronema but could also be shipping trauma. Their pre quarantine method helps to limit Uronema in their fish after you get them (because it shows up in their tanks not yours). There is little to no risk for this spreading to your other fish.
Jay
Thank you so much for responding. That’s great news. I was worried. I sent them the pics last night as well and they were quick to respond. They said it looked like internal uronema.

I also read your article on uronema (I found on another thread) last night. Seems uronema common in chromis (and anthias). From what I understood uronema may be in most mature tanks but seems to be associated with hyposalinity (which is how they ship their livestock).

It’s too bad. I really wanted a chromis and it looked great but I was worried that I may have jeopardized the rest of my inhabitants. I don’t have much time to qt and thought having them qt’d would decrease the likelihood of harming my DT (albeit not 100%).

Thanks again.

Jamo1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
To say I’m gutted would be an understatement.

Back in the hobby for the first time in 4 years. Brought a red sea 425xl, set up everything with a refugium ready to go. Got 3 Chromis as a start from my local LPS, and stupidly I done this before setting up my QT.

I now notice that to of the fish have Uronema. I am so frustrated.

Is there anything I can do accept sterilise the tank? And if not, how do I streralise the tank? Do I need to remove all the water and rocks/sand etc? Any advice would be massively appreciated

Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
To say I’m gutted would be an understatement.

Back in the hobby for the first time in 4 years. Brought a red sea 425xl, set up everything with a refugium ready to go. Got 3 Chromis as a start from my local LPS, and stupidly I done this before setting up my QT.

I now notice that to of the fish have Uronema. I am so frustrated.

Is there anything I can do accept sterilise the tank? And if not, how do I streralise the tank? Do I need to remove all the water and rocks/sand etc? Any advice would be massively appreciated

Thanks

No need to sterilize the tank. People don't know this, but Uronema can be isolated from many aquariums, older aquariums run about 75% positive results. It just is not very contagious. It gets into the fish during transport, we don't know how.

Green chromis are a big risk for this, as are anthias and yellow wrasse. It is pretty common to see 50% mortality in green chromis (from all causes).

Jay

Jamo1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay,
Should I just carry on as before then? Maybe a 25% water change and add clowns instead and see how I go?
I’m glad you’re saying I don’t have to start again!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay,
Should I just carry on as before then? Maybe a 25% water change and add clowns instead and see how I go?
I’m glad you’re saying I don’t have to start again!
I do prefer to wait at least 14 days (30 is better) from the date a fish died before adding anything new….just to be safe.

Jay

maxberter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, all,

Asking my question in this thread instead of starting a new one:

I understand you don't recommend chromis due to Uronema, but i still want to try a blue/green chromis because id like the color and free swimmer addition to my tank.

I would order pre-quarantined from Dr. Reef and then do a short 1 week observational only quarantine once I received him. I would only add the fish to the DT if there wasn't signs of Uronema after 1 week.

Does this make sense? Is 1 week an appropriate amount of time? Is it useful/necessary if Uronema doesn't seem to be contagious? My thinking is I'd prefer to keep it out of my tank nonetheless if possible.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, all,

Asking my question in this thread instead of starting a new one:

I understand you don't recommend chromis due to Uronema, but i still want to try a blue/green chromis because id like the color and free swimmer addition to my tank.

I would order pre-quarantined from Dr. Reef and then do a short 1 week observational only quarantine once I received him. I would only add the fish to the DT if there wasn't signs of Uronema after 1 week.

Does this make sense? Is 1 week an appropriate amount of time? Is it useful/necessary if Uronema doesn't seem to be contagious? My thinking is I'd prefer to keep it out of my tank nonetheless if possible.

Yes - there are three ways I would buy a green chromis:

1) pre-quarantined like you are proposing
2) ones from Tahiti
3) ones for East Africa

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back