Is this what I think it is (Uro)

quesomuchacho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received 5 chromis from a reputable dealer that does pre-quarantine and pre-conditioning. These guys came to me having had a 1 hr formalin bath and Prazipro and Metronidazole at 2x recommended dose. They were shipped to me in methylene blue. I put them in my own QT with copper power (40 mg/gal) for 14 days. At day 13, I noticed a red/brown ~ midway between tail and gill. It’s more reddish brown in person than in the picture. The picture makes it more pink and smaller. It was “breathing” heavy in this small tank I used to take a picture, but it did put up a good chase…

They completed day 14 of the QT copper power treatment, while I tried to figure out what it could be (n00b). Based on what I’ve read from Jay, vetteguy, and humblefish, it’s always uronema in chromis.

Came across a formalin bath and a new? tea tree oil (TTO) bath treatment options. But I’m a little confused which to use. I’ve ordered formaline and methylene bleu. I have, melaflex, TTO, metro, and prazi.

Only the 1 chromis is showing the red spot. The other 4 are acting and eating normally to my untrained eye. Do I use the same treatment on all 5, assuming the other 4 are infected, too? Am I not supposed to use formalin on the red spot?

Also, my understanding is that uro progresses quickly. They completed their 14 day copper power 4-5 days ago. Since then they’ve been in a combo of Fritz 2x metro and 2x prazi. They’re all still alive. I thought if it was uro, the red spot would’ve died within 48 hours?

Finally, and maybe most importantly, will these fish ever be safe to introduce to the display? I’m not sure I have enough brownie points for a dedicated chromis tank. Lol

They are really cool fish, but maybe not as beginner as I was led to believe with this uro thing. Any help y’all can offer would be appreciated!

Thanks,

John

IMG_1640.jpeg IMG_1649.jpeg

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you noted, chromis are highly susceptible to uronema. Also, as you noted, the disease progresses very quickly leading to death. This may be uronema, but cannot say for sure. If you choose any treatment, do not try the tree oil. It has no benefits. Once uronema creates open wounds, any treatment is a long shot. If the chromis survive, you should be able to move them to your DT. Uronema is most likely present in most tanks. But some fish, like chromis, are more susceptible to infection than others.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I received 5 chromis from a reputable dealer that does pre-quarantine and pre-conditioning. These guys came to me having had a 1 hr formalin bath and Prazipro and Metronidazole at 2x recommended dose. They were shipped to me in methylene blue. I put them in my own QT with copper power (40 mg/gal) for 14 days. At day 13, I noticed a red/brown ~ midway between tail and gill. It’s more reddish brown in person than in the picture. The picture makes it more pink and smaller. It was “breathing” heavy in this small tank I used to take a picture, but it did put up a good chase…

They completed day 14 of the QT copper power treatment, while I tried to figure out what it could be (n00b). Based on what I’ve read from Jay, vetteguy, and humblefish, it’s always uronema in chromis.

Came across a formalin bath and a new? tea tree oil (TTO) bath treatment options. But I’m a little confused which to use. I’ve ordered formaline and methylene bleu. I have, melaflex, TTO, metro, and prazi.

Only the 1 chromis is showing the red spot. The other 4 are acting and eating normally to my untrained eye. Do I use the same treatment on all 5, assuming the other 4 are infected, too? Am I not supposed to use formalin on the red spot?

Also, my understanding is that uro progresses quickly. They completed their 14 day copper power 4-5 days ago. Since then they’ve been in a combo of Fritz 2x metro and 2x prazi. They’re all still alive. I thought if it was uro, the red spot would’ve died within 48 hours?

Finally, and maybe most importantly, will these fish ever be safe to introduce to the display? I’m not sure I have enough brownie points for a dedicated chromis tank. Lol

They are really cool fish, but maybe not as beginner as I was led to believe with this uro thing. Any help y’all can offer would be appreciated!

Thanks,

John

IMG_1640.jpeg IMG_1649.jpeg
You’re thinking uronema and I’m on a phone screen but is possible
You can give the fish a 45 minute bath for cleansing but if it is, it’s an opportunistic and will host on fish as well as bacteria and uneaten food.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 6 months ago I picked up 20 chromis and eventually lost all but 3 (and several other fish to either this or something else, it still hurts) and I've assumed it was uronema - in my experience with them, once the fish showed any visible wound, it did not survive. However I'm not sure that it couldn't also be caused or worsened by their tendency to attack each other. The three survivors are also the three largest and fight constantly.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 6 months ago I picked up 20 chromis and eventually lost all but 3 (and several other fish to either this or something else, it still hurts) and I've assumed it was uronema - in my experience with them, once the fish showed any visible wound, it did not survive. However I'm not sure that it couldn't also be caused or worsened by their tendency to attack each other. The three survivors are also the three largest and fight constantly.

Sorry to hear. I'm really "down" on green chromis ATM. In addition to Uronema, they sure do fight a lot for a "schooling" species. Since Covid, the supply chain for SE Asian fish has gotten much longer. Some species just didn't seem to handle that time extension very well: green chromis, orange anthias and blonde nasos in particular.

Jay

OP
OP
quesomuchacho

quesomuchacho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m thinking maybe it isn’t uronema, but I don’t want to make a dumb rookie mistake, so I’d like to run my argument by y’all, if that’s ok.

Assuming yes,
1. The fish were treated with a 1 hr formalin bath, metro, and prazi before they were shipped to me, which is the procedure I would be using to treat uronema.

2. The original red spot has “healed” - its not there, but the scales are greyish/white in comparison to the rest of him. It looks like it’s healed and left a scar. There are a couple of other “scar” spots like this on him and there is a new red spot higher up on his back.

3. Watching the fish, they seem to pick at each other quite a bit. Especially the big guy. My QT tank is only 10 gal, so they’re squeezed.

4. The spot developed at the end of a high Copper Power treatment throughout which the ammonia was relatively high a few times.

5. Lastly, everything I’ve read about uronema says that once a red spot shows up, the fish is dead within 48 hrs and this fish is over a month after I first noticed the spot.
Counterpoint: they’ve been in metro and prazi for the last month, maybe that’s enough to inhibit the progression?

I’m beginning to think the red spot is not uronema but a place where the fish has been attacked by his QT mates. I’m thinking of either adding the them to my display or adding all but the one that has had a red spot until he’s completely healed. The thing that concerns me is that everything I’ve read says, “If it’s chromis, it’s uronema!”

I’d be grateful for your continued help!

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the condition has not worsened, I think it is probably something other than uronema which is fairly rapid. Could well be interaction with other fish. Take a current photo and post for comparison.

OP
OP
quesomuchacho

quesomuchacho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s him/her in the middle. There are two discolorations. Both of which look more whitish grey under the white led light. The bottom was where the original spot was. The upper one is the “new” one. It had a pink hue this morning, but not in the photo?.

Attachments

• IMG_1898.jpeg
    IMG_1898.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 26

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m thinking maybe it isn’t uronema, but I don’t want to make a dumb rookie mistake, so I’d like to run my argument by y’all, if that’s ok.

Assuming yes,
1. The fish were treated with a 1 hr formalin bath, metro, and prazi before they were shipped to me, which is the procedure I would be using to treat uronema.

2. The original red spot has “healed” - its not there, but the scales are greyish/white in comparison to the rest of him. It looks like it’s healed and left a scar. There are a couple of other “scar” spots like this on him and there is a new red spot higher up on his back.

3. Watching the fish, they seem to pick at each other quite a bit. Especially the big guy. My QT tank is only 10 gal, so they’re squeezed.

4. The spot developed at the end of a high Copper Power treatment throughout which the ammonia was relatively high a few times.

5. Lastly, everything I’ve read about uronema says that once a red spot shows up, the fish is dead within 48 hrs and this fish is over a month after I first noticed the spot.
Counterpoint: they’ve been in metro and prazi for the last month, maybe that’s enough to inhibit the progression?

I’m beginning to think the red spot is not uronema but a place where the fish has been attacked by his QT mates. I’m thinking of either adding the them to my display or adding all but the one that has had a red spot until he’s completely healed. The thing that concerns me is that everything I’ve read says, “If it’s chromis, it’s uronema!”

I’d be grateful for your continued help!
I agree this does not sound like internal Uronema. That just never heals over like that - the erupted lesion is just the tip of the volcano so to speak, it won’t heal over once it erupts.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back