Sunburst Anthias QT death?

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started QT with Copper Power at 2.25 (Hannah checker) on 11/13/23 for a Sunburst Anthias and Gold Ring Bristletooth Tang (Indian). Anthias was doing great eating no problems. Started hiding mote than normal yesterday and slowed eating. This morning it was on its side barely alive and I had to euthanize. Any thoughts? Take a look at pics, I’m wondering about red streak at the bottom of stomach. The tang is doing great and is very small the size of a quarter. Should I be concerned about tang? QT with Copper is on day 14 now with 3 days of observation prior to that. Thanks

IMG_0730.jpeg IMG_0729.jpeg IMG_0728.jpeg IMG_0727.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I started QT with Copper Power at 2.25 (Hannah checker) on 11/13/23 for a Sunburst Anthias and Gold Ring Bristletooth Tang (Indian). Anthias was doing great eating no problems. Started hiding mote than normal yesterday and slowed eating. This morning it was on its side barely alive and I had to euthanize. Any thoughts? Take a look at pics, I’m wondering about red streak at the bottom of stomach. The tang is doing great and is very small the size of a quarter. Should I be concerned about tang? QT with Copper is on day 14 now with 3 days of observation prior to that. Thanks

How was fish acclimated and for how long?
I see upper dorsal fin shredded suggesting there may have been aggression. What other fish are in with it?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also see some fin damage, any idea what could have caused that?
I don’t think acclimation had anything to do with this as it was eating good at first and then backslid.
Copper really just handles ich and velvet. While those are two very common killers of new fish, there are some others - cyanide collection and Uronema are both common with this species. Flukes can also be an issue, but those don’t kill as quickly.

Jay

OP
OP
K

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the Anthias on Nov 10 along with a quarter size gold ring bristle tooth tang (very small). They have been the only two fish together in a 20G L tank. 1st 3 days was observing and then on the 13th I started copper. There was really no aggression from the tang. I’ve looked at old video of Anthias and that red streak along the stomach was not present. The tang is doing great. Is there anything special I should do for him other than continuing the QT process. Both fish were drip acclimated when I put them in QT tank. Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back