Is this what I think it is??

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NervousReefer
I think your phosphate is ok (depending on coral) and your nitrate could be higher to eliminate bottoming out on either one of those two.

I hope you received my Zen Reefing comment on good faith as it was intended. Just yesterday, I begin following a forum thread: Zen Reefing and “A Question of Balance”. That coupled with nervous reefer brought on my Zen comment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NervousReefer

NervousReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NervousReefer
I think your phosphate is ok (depending on coral) and your nitrate could be higher to eliminate bottoming out on either one of those two.

I hope you received my Zen Reefing comment on good faith as it was intended. Just yesterday, I begin following a forum thread: Zen Reefing and “A Question of Balance”. That coupled with nervous reefer brought on my Zen comment.
Hey my name is NervousReefer lol but I’ve been working on not overreacting when I notice anything wrong with my tank. My OCD has been in overdrive since I’ve started in this hobby but this site has helped a lot and I’ve got to start not jumping the gun so much and letting things balance themselves out. Thank you for your input and quick replies it’s what I come here for :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As it appears to be cyano, light and poor circulation are contributors. They respond to light in which when there’s reduced light, there is reduced cyano (same applies to Dino)
Cyanobacteria is a bacteria that is always present in our tanks. When it grows in enough numbers so it becomes visible & more physical it is because it has a food source allowing it to grow. That food source is primarily high levels of dissolved organic carbon compounds (DOCs). Cyano blooms or breakouts can be caused by just one or a combination of the following factors:

- Overfeeding

- Poor skimming - dirty or plain ole ineffective units

- Not using an RO water filter or you have an ineffective RO water filter, i.e., any brand not using a Filmtec membrane

- RO membrane not fully seated into it's housing allowing the water to bypass the membrane

- Infrequent water changes

- Improper filtration, i.e., sand bed not deep enough &/or too little rock

- Nutrients dumped from die-off on rocks during a cycle

- Liquid invertebrate and gelatin based foods - HIGH sources of DOC

OP
OP
NervousReefer

NervousReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it appears to be cyano, light and poor circulation are contributors. They respond to light in which when there’s reduced light, there is reduced cyano (same applies to Dino)
Cyanobacteria is a bacteria that is always present in our tanks. When it grows in enough numbers so it becomes visible & more physical it is because it has a food source allowing it to grow. That food source is primarily high levels of dissolved organic carbon compounds (DOCs). Cyano blooms or breakouts can be caused by just one or a combination of the following factors:

- Overfeeding

- Poor skimming - dirty or plain ole ineffective units

- Not using an RO water filter or you have an ineffective RO water filter, i.e., any brand not using a Filmtec membrane

- RO membrane not fully seated into it's housing allowing the water to bypass the membrane

- Infrequent water changes

- Improper filtration, i.e., sand bed not deep enough &/or too little rock

- Nutrients dumped from die-off on rocks during a cycle

- Liquid invertebrate and gelatin based foods - HIGH sources of DOC
Only one of those sticks out and that’s skimming. My last skimmer just wasn’t skimming properly no matter the water height. I just replaced it a few days ago so we’ll see if that helps

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back