Is top frame necessary?

Straasha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, new the the group and new into salt water tanks and reefing. I have had freshwater tanks my whole life. I have had a 55 gallon standard tank that I will use. It has a frame with NO center brace on the top nor the bottom and the glass is 3/8" thick. I have used this tank since the 80's with no issues. My questions is: can I remove the top frame to use as a frameless tank (I will keep the bottom frame)? I have searched everywhere but all discussions are centered around tanks that originally had a center brace. Thanks in advance.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My questions is: can I remove the top frame to use as a frameless tank (I will keep the bottom frame)? I have searched everywhere but all discussions are centered around tanks that originally had a center brace. Thanks in advance.

I would not feel safe removing it.

Maybe if it had a glass center brace, but your tank is very, very old.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I’ve found is a damaged top rim (cracked) on a 55 That did expand when filled. What thickness glass wasn’t mentioned tho. I believe the plastic rim is a structural not just a visual,even without a center brace . Interested to see what folks think tho

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Tank from the 80s? Dump it, its past its safe and useful life. Buy a new one when Petco has dollar a gallon sale.

To answer your original question - no, you cannot remove the center brace on the 55G tank.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, new the the group and new into salt water tanks and reefing. I have had freshwater tanks my whole life. I have had a 55 gallon standard tank that I will use. It has a frame with NO center brace on the top nor the bottom and the glass is 3/8" thick. I have used this tank since the 80's with no issues. My questions is: can I remove the top frame to use as a frameless tank (I will keep the bottom frame)? I have searched everywhere but all discussions are centered around tanks that originally had a center brace. Thanks in advance.
No it needs the rim. If you remove it you could silicone in a eurobrace all the way around.
Tank from the 80's I would just get a new one from petco. You can get a 55 or 75 on dollar days.
I would hate to see you spend the dollars this hobby extracts from us only to have a tank failure.
A new standard would be cheaper in the long run than trying to modify the 80's tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back